Talk

Advanced search

8 mth old and ideas?

(5 Posts)
ginandtonic1 Sun 19-Jun-11 05:39:42

Hi-here are the details. Baby girl, gorgeous, now 8 mths old, teething-4 teeth thru others on way, just started crawling and therefore into everything, weaned and eats everything and anything (food substance or not). Went back to work 2 mths ago, prior to that she was sleeping thru the night. Since then hasn't hardly slept through the night at all. She's had a cold pretty much every week, as was to be expected going to nursery.
THere's no problem getting her to sleep at about 8.30, however i do feed her (bottle) to sleep after she's had bath and book. However she's waking up at around midnight and then maybe a couple of times at random times. She'll have a drink and fall straight off again, as she's not really awake. Now she's starting to wake up fully at 4.30/5.00.

I think that it's just a dev stage, but wondered if anyone had any tips/ feedback? She's generally a very happy baby but this teething/cold thing is quite honestly getting tedious.

Also, she's asleep when she goes down in her cot. Haven't tried the controlled crying thing. Should i?

Appreciate any feedback xx

Haudyerwheesht Sun 19-Jun-11 05:56:21

No don't do controlled crying. She's teeny.

Dd is 8m too and has slept through almost since birth _ until the last 6 weeks or so! Teeth/colds are main culprits (she's not at nursery but has a germ bag big brother) and also she's learning a lot of new stuff and I think her brain is just too busy!

I'm just riding it out atm. Have you got blackout blinds? Will she settle herself awake? Dd sometimes will, ds never did.

I'm not into controlled crying or sleep training tbh, I think lots of cuddles and reassurance and dark, quiet, calm surroundings are all you can do.

Dd goes down at 7 though _ have you tried putting her to bed earlier?

Haudyerwheesht Sun 19-Jun-11 05:56:21

No don't do controlled crying. She's teeny.

Dd is 8m too and has slept through almost since birth _ until the last 6 weeks or so! Teeth/colds are main culprits (she's not at nursery but has a germ bag big brother) and also she's learning a lot of new stuff and I think her brain is just too busy!

I'm just riding it out atm. Have you got blackout blinds? Will she settle herself awake? Dd sometimes will, ds never did.

I'm not into controlled crying or sleep training tbh, I think lots of cuddles and reassurance and dark, quiet, calm surroundings are all you can do.

Dd goes down at 7 though _ have you tried putting her to bed earlier?

ginandtonic1 Sun 19-Jun-11 06:13:52

thank you, good to hear. yes blackout blinds, but will try bringing her bedtime earlier. think it is a combi of colds/ teething/ massive dev, just good to get a handle on other people's experiences and coping mechanisms. x

NicholaGriff Sun 19-Jun-11 20:41:58

I just read on another website that bringing bedtime a bit earlier often helps so it might be worth a try.

Does she have a dummy? If so, I found taking it away from my 8 month old has stopped her waking during the night. For some reason if she doesn't fall asleep with it in, she doesn't wake up looking for it.

I am not a big fan of CC, but have had to do it for a few days with my LO going down at night. It's horrible to hear, but I think it might be starting to work as the times she's unsettled for are getting shorter. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now