Talk

Advanced search

Help needed. 7 mth old. BFs to sleep. Wakes lots.

(15 Posts)
SleepySuzy Wed 15-Jun-11 09:57:06

Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions.

My DD was a good sleeper til we moved several weeks ago. But never a self settler.

I have to BF her to sleep or she won't go down. So I do this at 6.30pm ish and when asleep I put her in her Moses basket. (I want her in her cot ASAP. )

She then wakes around 10.30-11ish, around 2-3am and then maybe another time before waking again at about 5am. Each time I BF her to sleep.

I know I've got her into bad habits, and wondered what people suggest. I have tried leaving her to cry for a few minutes but she gets really worked up, so I've gone back to BFing.

Do I just put her in her own room, which now has a blackout blind and her cot? Do I try CC? In which case, what do you do if they are so distressed in only a couple of mins?

Please help!

SleepySuzy Wed 15-Jun-11 11:55:27

Anyone??? sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 11:56:28

Sleepy a feeding pattern like this sounds pretty normal. If you feed her do you both go straight back to sleep?

If you do want to change it have a read of this on Kellymom.

CC is tempting but even the people who came up with the idea don't recommend it for such young babies.

If you have time to read a book have a try of this or this. If you don't want to shell out on a book try your library, these books are so popular around here that the libray has several copies of each.

WowOoo Wed 15-Jun-11 11:57:25

You haven't got her into bad habits. Bollocks. You are being an attentive comforting mum.

How tired are you? Can you get some catch up sleep time another time. Take naps with her?

My 2 yr old still wakes once a night. But he is so very happy!

SleepySuzy Wed 15-Jun-11 12:11:23

Thank you JJJ and WowOoo, I just worry that I am putting her to the breast too easily, when she might not need it, but I don't know what else to do.

I feel reassured, though, my 7 year old was so different, but maybe I'm not remembering, as it was so long ago.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 12:17:15

Agree with Wowoo you aren't doing a thing wrong, you are doing everything right and you sound like a great Mum.

There is no such thing as bad habits and putting to the breast too easily. If you feed her and she and you go back to sleep then there's no problem.

Know loads babies who are awake alot more than this, don't worry.

SleepySuzy Wed 15-Jun-11 12:37:53

We do go back to sleep. I'm just tired, but that's motherhood I suppose.

I'm a bit nervous about putting her in her own room though. Why does it seem so hard 2nd time around?! confused

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 12:40:27

You don't have to put them in their own room if you don't want too. Plenty of babies, including mine, stayed in the parents room for much longer.

For me having the DC with me, feeding them and nodding straight back off was the only way I could get any sleep.

sedgiebaby Wed 15-Jun-11 14:59:08

Babies can get used to and end up needing to suck to go to sleep and/or sleep on a full belly. If you do want to start to get her self settling the No Cry Sleep Solution has some ideas particularly for your situation (co-sleeping/BF mum) they are quite subtle techniques but they do work for some

SleepySuzy Wed 15-Jun-11 16:09:22

Just a bit concerned that she doesn't necessarily need feeding at night, and she is using me as a prop. Just a thought.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 16:31:51

Sleepy don't think she is using you as a prop, but if its a problem there are lots of things you can try like trying to up her bfeeds in the day, getting someone else to try to settle her at night if thats possible or even night weaning. She is still so young though.

SleepySuzy Wed 15-Jun-11 19:23:48

Thank you. You've certainly made me feel better. I'm laid feeding her now as I type this! grin

SilkySilky Sun 19-Jun-11 09:14:36

Sounds like you doing a good job. Wife does same, but DD won't take a dummy nor a bottle, so BF only option.

icd Sun 19-Jun-11 10:50:22

Sleepy I don't think you are doing anything wrong either. I did the same as you but have now moved my one in her own room and found that she sleeps much better. She is a light sleeper and I think I used to wake her. Also, when she wakes in the night, perhaps your DP can try settling her first? And if it doesn't work after a few minutes, by all means give her the breast. You really don't want to cause dramas during the night!

But I noticed that often just putting her on my shoulder for a minute puts her back to sleep. In the past I would not have given her that chance, she'd been straight on the breast!

SleepySuzy Sun 19-Jun-11 14:38:12

Thanks ICD I think we are going to try her in her own room tonight. She has a blackout blind there. Must admit I do snore too. Oh and there are the distant trains on our side of the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now