Talk

Advanced search

Hello Quick quesiton please 10 month DD refusing to go to sleep as she has just learned to pull up into sitting

(10 Posts)
Zimm Wed 08-Jun-11 08:54:40

I am assuming the novelty of this will wear off soon and she'll go back to being able to self settle? Well she self settles about 50% of the time, by rolling round in her cot for about 20 mins and then drops off, I wait with her and speak softly to her. We are very happy with this sysem and would like it back! due to her refusal to settle I am back to feeding to sleep for all naps and sleep which only works if she is exhausted so not ideal. I try lying her down when she sits up but she just screams.

This is a phase yes? She will get over the novelty soon?

RaisingMrC Wed 08-Jun-11 19:00:31

HI Zimm, thought I would reply to say that we are in the same situation but pulling up to standing. It has been going on for over a month (sigh). Like your LO, my DS roams around the cot and eventually falls asleep. Now I just lie him back down every time he gets up. It is a pain but eventually he stays down and goes to sleep.

Not sure about the screaming though...is it because she wants to sit up? Maybe an alternative then would be this which I read somewhere - you pat the mattress and say "lie down" until they do...I did try this with my DS but made bedtimes much longer and I lost patience with it.

Zimm Wed 08-Jun-11 19:20:09

thanks for replying Raising - yes the screaming is protest screaming as she wants to sit up but she is also tired. I'll keep plugging away with the lying down then - so tedious after we had just cracked naps!!

sassymammy Wed 08-Jun-11 19:24:33

hi there, my 9mo boy does this too. we used to rock/feed to sleep til last week and have just started a new "regime" of putting him down drowsy but awake - which always results in crying - then some standing up etc etc.

i read you should only put them down the first time but we usually end up lying him down over and over (for about an hour) i also worry a bit that he could fall, as he is so tired his balance isn't great. a friend mentioned a sleeping bag but he's already in one!

so no solutions there but would appreciate any advice....

Zimm Thu 09-Jun-11 08:16:39

I asked HV for advice yesterday - predictably useless! just said to persist with leaving her in cot until she slept!

Dreemagurl Thu 09-Jun-11 08:42:49

Zimm I just realised you've posted separately here as well as on the boat (ahoy!) and apologies that my crap advice was no better than your HV's! Please ignore and chalk it down to lack of sleep and coffee smile

MovingGal Thu 09-Jun-11 08:59:50

If shes happy sitting in her cot (and safe of course) then just leave the room and leave her to it.

Maybe a bit of a sit up and roll around is just her way to self-settle?

matana Thu 09-Jun-11 09:37:22

My 7 mo DS has just mastered rolling from back to front, so most nap times and during the night he wakes up, rolls over onto his front, attempts to crawl and then gets his legs stuck between the bars of the cot so ends up screaming for help. It's a nightmare! The only thing i've found works is tucking him in under a sheet for naps (OK if it's not too hot) or feeding him back to sleep at night time because it calms him down. I'm not concerned about using this method because he's a good self settler though.

Graciescotland Thu 09-Jun-11 09:48:58

Phase, sadly it will be followed by the standing up when trying to go to sleep phase. I just lie him down and leave for ten minutes. Return and he cuddles to sleep within minutes. If DS wakes up on return to the cot, repeat but normally he just opens eyes for a sec, wiggles and is asleep before I'm out the room.

UKSky Tue 14-Jun-11 23:20:04

Yes it will pass. DD went through this for a couple of weeks. Her problem was the she could sit up but then couldn't work out how to lay back down again. Now she can sort herself out she's fine again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: