Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have their children share a bedroom? How does it work (age 4 + 1) esp with one early waker!

(4 Posts)
bringinghomethebacon Sun 29-May-11 09:50:03

So, DD2 has just started sleeping through after doing controlled crying. That is, she now sleeps well from 7pm to 5am, then so far it seems like she needs to have a bit of a whinge and some milk to go back to sleep. This morning though she screamed on and off for an hour so we had to get up!

DD1 is 4, she tends to mess around a lot at bedtime which is normally 7.30ish but often doesn't go to sleep until later but generally gets up OK anywhere between 7.30 and 8.30am (depending on if its a school day). I try to get her to bed earlier on days when I am working and we have to be out the house by 7.30am the next morning. She basically will sleep for 11 hours whatever time she goes to sleep though.

So, how do I work out the sleeping arrangements for the girls to share a room. To date DD1 has been in our bedroom but I really want her out, I can't seem to relax with her there and am still on "high alert" in the night for every sniffle and shuffle. I think probably I need to get DD2 asleep first then do DD1's stories in our bedroom and then put her in bed with dire warnings not to wake her sister (have often found her sneaking into our bedroom in the past to put toys etc in her baby sister's cot). Then I'm not quite sure what to do with DD2's early wakings except try and bring her into our room but then tends to wake her up more. DD1 is a deep sleeper but obviously I don't want to risk two children awake at 5am! How do others manage it?

Chrysanthemum5 Sun 29-May-11 09:59:36

DS and DD (6&3) share a room and have done since DD was 1. We put them in bed at the same time with a story, dd goes to sleep straight away, ds will lie awake for a little but. I go in once dd is asleep and have a cuddle and chat with ds.

They both wake at 7ish but for a long time dd was a 5am wake up. Either dh or I would get up with her so ds could sleep and be refreshed for school. She grew out of the early rising.

I'd say try to get them in the habit of going to bed at the same time

bringinghomethebacon Sun 29-May-11 19:06:39

Thanks Chrysanthemum, I tried putting them down at the same time last night in the same room, but DD2 kept jumping up in her cot and giggling when she saw DD1. Hoping the novelty will wear off, and definitely hoping she'll grow out of the early waking!

Chrysanthemum5 Mon 30-May-11 10:51:42

Yes, hopefully they will get used to sharing the room. It may be worth carrying on with slightly different bed times for a while until they get used to being together. And take comfort, the early waking usually does get better. Both mine were early wakers (DS used to get up at 4.30am some times!) but today they slept until 7.45am!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: