Talk

Advanced search

8 week old DS sleeping on his side

(8 Posts)
JeelyPiece Sat 28-May-11 12:34:42

I bf and bed share with 8 week old DS as he won't sleep in his crib (which is right next to my bed) and wakes every 2 hrs to feed. DH is on the sofa.

I was uncomfortable enough doing this for safety reasons until the past week when DS started flipping into me on his side and refusing to sleep when I flipped him back, or just turning himself straight onto his side again. I don't know if he can turn from side to back on his own.

I think this is my fault as I have been flipping him onto his side to bf during the night so now he feels comfortable like that.

It's not safe though, is it? He could easily turn too close to me and suffocate in my boob or turn onto his tummy. I try to stay awake to hold him in position but obviously keep drifting off. I can't cope with the anxiety!

Any ideas what the hell I'm supposed to do?! Have already been told off by my doctor for bed sharing and that was when he was still sleeping on his back. I wish he would just settle in his crib sad

WhereTheWildThingsWere Sat 28-May-11 12:41:35

Dd co-slept on her side from the day she was born, if he can do it himself there is not much you can do really.

You are very aware of your child then you both bf and co-sleep, I wouldn't worry.

WhereTheWildThingsWere Sat 28-May-11 12:42:04

when you both, not then, sorry.

Iggly Sat 28-May-11 12:43:42

DS was the same - slept on his side. I kept the duvet at waist level and wore extra layers as was winter. He kept sleeping on his side until 5 months when he started sleeping on his front (we used the cot from 4 months)

JeelyPiece Sat 28-May-11 12:51:10

I am so scared of SIDS or just suffocating him, I dread the night coming. Especially as the peak period for SIDS is 2 to 4 months. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened and I had been going against the advice I know perfectly well, a) sleeping on back and b) not in my bed.

But it is reassuring to know you have both come through the same thing, so thank you.

FetchezLaVache Sat 28-May-11 12:53:22

Me too- DS had a marked preference for sleeping on his side from the get-go. I was worried too, and I can't say SIDS isn't a risk, but what mollified my concerns was reading a La Leche League book that said back OR side, so that's clearly the standard advice in the US.

And as a bonus, he won't end up with a flat head. wink

Iggly Sat 28-May-11 12:58:12

Yes I was the same. To reassure myself I looked up safe co-sleeping and made sure I did all the right things.

FloweryBoots Tue 31-May-11 20:59:14

My DS slept on his side from day one. We were still in the hospital when he was sleeping on his side. The midwife said if he could roll onto his side already it was fine, adn there isn't much you can do about it any way.
We've coslept a lot too and I tried to remember these things if I got anious about it (as well as all the usual safety advice):

1) i'm sure it was safer for me to feed lying down as then I couldn't drop him if (when!) if dozed off like I might if I tried to sit up to feed him
2) the reason we are advised to have babies under 6 months in our rooms is because the sound of our breathing helps them regulate thiers which reduces risk of SIDS. Surely therefore having them next to so they can actualy hear and feel your breathing increases that advantage.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: