Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried a SLEEP CONSULTANT...?

(13 Posts)
rr16 Thu 17-Mar-11 14:27:27

Hello,

Please let me know if you have tried a sleep consultant and whether it worked for you.

I can't really afford it but I am SO UNBELIEVABLY DESPERATE I am willing to pay any price for a decent nights sleep.

I've tried EVERYTHING, CC PUPD... After 8 months of being woken up every 2 hours or so it's either this or go bonkers.

Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions etc...

Munkle Thu 17-Mar-11 14:54:32

Hi - yes we used one with DS when he was about the same age and waking 4 - 10 times a night. Nightmare.

Really helped. Partly just having someone there offering consistent advice so that, in spite of how tired and irritable we were, we always stuck to it. Eventually solved the problem.

He's 21 months now and sleeps through, though only from 8pm - 6am sad

I know there are loads but we used Mandy at this one, it cost about £300 and it was money well spent.

BlueChampagne Fri 18-Mar-11 13:02:33

Have you tried your HV? You may find there's a sleep clinic near you, where you can get advice for free. Hoping to see ours next week as DS2 (15 months) is waking in the night and not settling for 2-3 hours.

SnapFrakkleAndPop Fri 18-Mar-11 13:11:32

You might be able to get a trainee night nanny who will help out at fixed rate and give advice etc which could make it more affordable.

I've done this for a couple of parents although I wouldn't call myself a sleep consultant and I think what helped then most was having someone impartial and consistently motivating.

CountBapula Fri 18-Mar-11 13:16:51

We're just about to ... have an appointment with Andrea Grace on Monday. Can let you know how it goes if you like. DS is 6 months and waking every two hours too.

ExistentialistCat Fri 18-Mar-11 14:12:11

Used Millpond with DD1 aged 7 months, found them helpful but a bit regimented. Now using Andrea Grace with DD2 and am finding her really supportive and sensitive to the baby's as well as the parent's needs. I probably didn't HAVE to use a sleep consultant either time but I'm a bit insecure and a bit paranoid about sleep, and found it such a relief just to have a clear plan and someone 'professional' to support me in its implementation.

Both Millpond and Andrea Grace have brought out books on sleep, which you could have a look at to get a flavour of their approach.

I also tried our HV/local sleep clinic but their advice wasn't actually that useful. Perhaps luck of the draw.

<Waves to Count> I hope your appointment with Andrea goes well and that you graduate from the sleep nightmare thread soon!

SenoritaViva Fri 18-Mar-11 14:13:49

My bro and SIL were desperate and tried a sleep consultant. It changed their lives and six months on it is still working. I also believe it averted SIL having major PND.

CountBapula Fri 18-Mar-11 14:45:12

<waves to ECat>

Is DD sleeping better now? Andrea seems lovely - really hope this works - dying to get off that thread, in the nicest possible way grin

Piccalilli2 Fri 18-Mar-11 14:50:40

We used Millpond and although it didn't solve all the problems it certainly improved matters and got us on the right track. The Millpond book is also very good. Millpond do phone consultations.

ExistentialistCat Fri 18-Mar-11 14:55:56

<waves back to Count but isn't hijacking this thread, honest>

DD has her moments - very erratic naps and lots of night feeding, plus extremely early waking. I've been following Andrea's plan for a couple of nights now and although it's tough, there's already a difference. She seems to tread a good line between encouraging self-settling skills without abandoning babies to cry alone.

Would say, OP, be prepared that it'll all feel a little worse for a few nights before it feels better, but IME sleep consultants are worth every penny of my maternity allowance!

gummymum Fri 18-Mar-11 19:28:59

What is the plan Ecat? Can you share for all us desperado's?

ExistentialistCat Fri 18-Mar-11 21:32:52

Happy to share, gummy, just didn't want to hijack...

Main issue is v early waking (4 a.m.) and then only settling back to sleep if in our bed attached to my nipple. Sleep consultant advised that this is probably connected to night feeds - DD (6 mo, btw) expects to be fed and this expectation gets stronger as the night progresses and her sleep gets lighter. So the plan is to gently reduce night feeds and eliminate them altogether, and to try to re-settle her without feeding/taking her into our bed at early wakings. I'm doing this by reducing the length of time I bf by a few minutes each night and re-settling DD by patting/rocking/using a phrase I've introduced at bedtime as a sleep cue.

I'm only 2 nights in, so not much to report yet. First night, DD fidgeted for 45 minutes from 4 and then cried for another 45 (with me there, not left alone) until I decided to start the day. Yesterday, she cried on/off for 50 minutes from 4.50 and then went back to sleep until 7.30. Tonight, who knows...

The other main technique - which I've not had to use as I've sorted that bit - involves helping babies to learn to settle themselves, without the need for feeds/rocking etc. If they settle themselves at the beginning of the night, the theory goes, they will be more able to do so as they come out of each sleep cycle. You For me, helping my DDs learn to self-settle has involved staying with them with a hand on their backs, reassuring them I'm still there without actively doing anything to get them to sleep. With DD1, aged 7 months, that worked in about 3 nights. With DD2, I started the process at 16 weeks and it took a couple of nights.

Disclaimer: I know some would argue that at this age babies still need night feeds/shouldn't have to cry/should co-sleep. I'm not arguing with any of that if it works for the baby and the rest of the family. I'm just describing what works for us.

Sorry this has got a bit long - you did ask!!

AT2017 Fri 16-Jun-17 23:22:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now