Talk

Advanced search

Napping & nursery (also posted in Nurseries section)

(4 Posts)
Littlepaleale Sun 16-Jan-11 15:35:32

DD(10mo) has just started nursery. We're one week in and she's starting to settle there. She's eating OK but struggling to get much sleep whilst she's there. The most she's managed is 40 minutes after lunch. By evening time she's falling asleep in her bath.

On days at home she'll happily have at least an hour's nap in the morning and the same in the afternoon. Mind you, it took us months to get to that point as at 6 months old I was walking miles in the quest of daytime sleep - wouldn't sleep in her cot.

At nursery she's in a cot with her usual comforters and sleeping bag but the environment is much busier than she's used to.

My question is - is this normal? Does it get better? Is there anything you or the nursery did to help daytime sleep. Reassurance & tips most welcome!

Bonkerz Sun 16-Jan-11 15:38:14

Can the nursery put her down in morning and afternoon?
Nurseries are a busy place, after a while your DD will get used to the noise and will sleep longer.

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 15:57:44

Yes, it's normal. Yes it gets better!

She's had an awful lot to take in, and is in a new exciting environment. I'm not surprised she doesn't want to miss anything and stays awake.

But it is a big transition from her previous nap schedule. I also walked miles with non-sleeping tinies, and found the nursery regime of a long nap after lunch a God-send. Would you consider trying to move her towards a single longer nap? Then all her days would have a similar structure.

Littlepaleale Sun 16-Jan-11 16:30:54

Thanks! The nursery are very happy to follow our normal routine but she's having none of it! As onimolap suggests, I might try moving her to one longer nap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: