Talk

Advanced search

How the hell does CC work if your DC repeatedly stands up in cot??? Success stories pls!

(12 Posts)
curlyLJ Wed 12-Jan-11 21:12:26

I am very reluctantly trying CC with my 10m old DD tonight in the vain hope that I get some sleep. I have had 2 weeks of DD refusing to go to sleep, waking for up to 3 hours in the middle of the night, not going back to sleep after her one night feed.

I am at the end of my tether.

DH says we have to let her cry and we are arguing enough already so I have to do something he says!

She has now been crying for over an hour sad although it is more of a shout/moan now rather than distress IYSWIM, and it is not constant.

Everytime one of us goes to her though, she is standing...will she eventually lie down? Please tell me this will work.

I want to give up and it is taking every bit of strength to carry on. The thought of some decent sleep is the only thing getting me through sad

Normantebbit Wed 12-Jan-11 21:16:11

She will lie down eventually. Is it possible to tuck her in when you go back to her? Hhave you tried a grobag?

The first and second nights are the worst but then things should improve quickly. Just keep reassuring her.

It is horrible. Can you have a glass of wine?

Panzee Wed 12-Jan-11 21:17:02

Yes she will. I am doing CC with my 18 month old and he is usually standing up the first time I go in. I used to lift him and lay him down, now (about 10 days) if he is standing as soon as I go in or hold his hand he lies down by himself.

dustycups Wed 12-Jan-11 21:20:40

yes she will lie down eventually! stay strong and it will work, in a few weeks you will look back and think what was i worried about!

curlyLJ Wed 12-Jan-11 21:25:59

Thanks Normantebbit she is in a Grobag, but has mastered standing in it!

I think I may just have a glass of wine...<slinks off rummage in the drinks cabinet to see what decent alcohol is available>.

I never, ever thought I would resort to this (the CC not the alcohol grin )

Normantebbit Wed 12-Jan-11 21:36:07

It will work. And she will be fine.

valbona Thu 13-Jan-11 15:05:36

we did a stint of "teaching" DD to lie down at about the same age - basically a bit like PUPD except only the PD part of it.

every time she stood up, we'd lie her down and give her a pat and say "we lie down to go to sleep" or similar and repeat ad nauseam for 20 mins or so. after a bit she'd only sit up and then lie down and then go to sleep.

and does your DD have a blanket / teddy type thing? I held her blanket thing down on the mattress so if she wanted it, she had to lie down. that helped too. (was v pleased with that trick!)

Smartieismycat Thu 13-Jan-11 15:46:56

We go in our DD's room every five minutes and if she's standing we lie her down and stroke her head, I think you just have to keep reassuring them.

SiameseSnowCat Thu 13-Jan-11 18:53:39

How did the rest of the night go?

ShushBaby Thu 13-Jan-11 19:25:40

Haven't done controlled crying but when dd (11 months) started resisting bedtime and waking up for hours in the night at around 9-10 months, I started standing by her cot without touching her, repeatedly lying her down, saying "lie down" each time. It worked. Now I can stand in the doorway and say "lie down" and she will do it. She stands up again and I say "lie down", repeat ad nauseam, or these days, for a minute or so.

Doesn't stop her waking up before 5am and refusing to go back to sleep though (hence I'm lurking round the Sleep boards!).

freddiefox Fri 14-Jan-11 00:04:27

Am watching with interest as Ds does the same thing, also in a gro bag but manages to stand up in it too. We have been lying him back down every time he gets up, he is often up on his feet before I have left the room, I did at one point really tuck him in so he couldn't move, felt really mean but he was aslepp in minutes as he is tired then I untucked him when he was asleep so he could move about. In the last week or so it has got better, and he does get up less although can still spend an half hour lying him down (much better that the hour and half) but I stopped speaking to him or giving him eye contact after the first few times of lying him down, so maybe he's not getting as much attention.

curlyLJ Fri 14-Jan-11 08:32:50

Well, it worked in the end, but the night was sh*t. SHe eventually went to sleep at 10.25 after 3 hours but woke at 2.15am and didn't go back to sleep until 4.45 (using the same method). I am now more shattered than I was before sad

THink we are going to have to re-thyink things. I might try your technique Shushbaby because I think this CC isn't working because DD can't lay herself back down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: