Talk

Advanced search

How do you co sleep safely when baby won't be put down?

(4 Posts)
clarabellarocks Tue 11-Jan-11 02:37:13

Getting no sleep with my 5 week old who wakes when i put him in his moses basket. Sleeps in there fine in the day but not the night.

From what I understand about co sleeping baby needs to be laid on the bed but that involves me putting him down. Scared about cuddling him and sleeping.

He's BF and I've moved into the spare room so my husband can at least get some sleep for work and our toddler.

Chil1234 Tue 11-Jan-11 18:53:02

When my baby wouldn't settle at that age it was more often than not an attack of evening wind. If I put him down before he was completely gas-free he'd scream the place down, arching his back, top lip going a bit bluish etc. Check that you've not got a windy baby before you try other things. Good luck

AngelDog Tue 11-Jan-11 22:39:12

If you're bf, co-sleeping is pretty safe as long as there's no danger of him falling out of the bed, and you keep duvets / pillows away from him.

The UNICEF leaflet on co-sleeping shows the classic position which is safest, and which you may find you adopt instinctively.

As long as you follow the guidelines in the leaflet, you'll be fine.

Congratulations and enjoy the cuddles.

breatheslowly Wed 12-Jan-11 21:26:50

While I don't want to recommend anything as what we do may not be considered the safest or best practice but...

When DD was tiny she slept on my front. I had a pillow under each arm and the duvet up to my waist. We then had a baby blanket over us to keep both of us warm.

Now DD is older (4 months) she mostly sleeps in the cot attached to our bed. If she is restless then I pull her over to me and she sleeps with her head on my arm or her neck on my arm and head on my pillow - she sleeps in her sleeping bag and I am careful to make sure that the duvet is on me not her. It really helps that she can sleep on the outside of the bed (due to the attached cot) rather than between me and DH. If I can get her to sleep on my arm on her cot then I just pull my arm out when she is deeply asleep.

I have once had her under the duvet with me as her grobag got wet and didn't have a clean one to hand. She was only wearing a nappy but still got really hot and sweaty, so I definitely wouldn't do it again due to the risk of overheating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: