Talk

Advanced search

How do you co-sleep with a duvet?

(8 Posts)
lurcherlover Mon 10-Jan-11 23:15:28

I want to co-sleep with DS (11 weeks) as he is seriously struggling to sleep in his cot and we are getting desperate...but I'm so terrified of smothering/overheating him. We have a thick winter duvet on the bed as it is freezing - I can't put him under it, can I? But if I put him on the top, I have to have my arms out to hold him and I then don't sleep because I'm too cold (I have Raynaud's and get cold really easily). Is there a way for me to stay covered but to still co-sleep safely? Also, what do I cover him with if he's on top of the duvet - I'm worried if I put a blanket on him it might end up covering his face as you can't exactly do feet to foot on a bed. Can he wear a grobag or will this be too hot if I'm cuddling him as well?

Cosmosis Tue 11-Jan-11 09:05:02

I put him in his sleeping bag on top of the duvet, and had my arm around the top of his head to stop him moving about - I wore a v sexy pair of flannel PJs to keep my arms warm!

Mapley Tue 11-Jan-11 09:38:33

I also put him in a sleeping bag on the outside of duvet and had a blanket round my shoulders and over my arms.

I totally sympathise, I had ds in the summer, and even then had freezing boobs most the night, as he'd be pretty much permanently latched.

Doesn't last forever, don't worry x

JoinTheDots Tue 11-Jan-11 12:51:45

I (ok this is going to sound odd) put my arm in a pillow case (reaches to my shoulder) and have DD on top of duvet in a sleeping bag.

Keeps me warm enough with DDs warm head on my arm too

Mapley Thu 13-Jan-11 19:57:31

That's genius !

mjovertherainbow Thu 13-Jan-11 19:59:38

Message withdrawn

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Thu 13-Jan-11 20:04:09

DS2 co sleeps in a sleeping bag on top of the duvet as well or more beside it.
I also have some very attractive pairs of flanelette jammies but I have also have found a fantastic use for the snuggy blanket my friend gave me - you know one of those blanket with arms things- and have used that on occassion to keep me warm when it is cold in the night and as it is just a fleece blanket the over heating risk is less than with a duvet.

QueeferSutherland Thu 13-Jan-11 23:11:10

Growbag on top here too, or just splayed baby on top if I'm honest. (DS's 9mo)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: