Talk

Advanced search

To nap or not to nap?

(8 Posts)
MrsTumbles Fri 07-Jan-11 16:36:03

This is probably a daft question, but at what age did your LO stop having daytime naps? I've been talking to someone at work who has said their DS was still taking naps up until starting school!

My DD (2.4) in the last month seems to have stopped wanting naps, even when I do all the usual 'tricks' to get her to sleep (long drives used to be a favorite!). I didn't see a problem in this as she seems happy enough (not grouchy/clingy/unwell etc) and sleeps enough at night, but my colleague has said that children need sleep during the day and I should be limiting her night-time sleep so she will want a daytime nap hmm

I think he's barking, but now he's planted a seed of doubt in my mind, I'd thought I'd ask your opinions!!

lifeinagoldfishbowl Fri 07-Jan-11 16:41:04

I would say that she is fine to be giving up a nap

Dc was 2.4 when he thought he should give up his nap but as he would fall asleep at 5pm after an hours grumpiness I continued to put him to bed and he was still having naps at 2.11

mum295 Fri 07-Jan-11 16:59:31

For what it's worth, my DD's nursery class, for ages 2-3 years, has about half the kids still napping and half not.

They advocate a phasing-out process with naps on alternate days to see how child copes before dropping them altogether.

My DD is 2.4 and before Christmas we started phasing out her naps to help with night sleeping. But she was unwell over Christmas and now seems more wedded to her naps than ever (back to the long drives!).

PorkChopSter Fri 07-Jan-11 17:05:37

My DC1 was sleeping for 2-3 hours up until he was knocking 4. DC2 & 3 were shy of their second birthdays, but DC3 will still fall asleep in the car twice a week at 3.5 yrs.

There was a mixture of cold turkey and gradual going to every other day, every two days etc.

One of my friends had her DD sleeping for an hour and a half until the day before she went to school wink

MrsTumbles Fri 07-Jan-11 17:30:19

I knew MN would tell me what I've been telling Mr know-it-all at work, that all children are different!

I don't know why I listen to this guy, he told me DD had 'developmental issues' because she didn't crawl until her 1st Birthday, she was walking 3 weeks later DD does everything when she's ready, I'm happy enough with that. I only wish this guy had a mute button...

StartingAfresh Sat 08-Jan-11 02:17:10

Mrs Tumbles, my dd is 2.4 too and she doesn't have consistent naps.

An Educational Pscyhologist has told me that she is very advanced for her age.

I am loathed to put her down for naps in the day based on what your colleague says because she is quite precocious enough and doesn't need any help!

StartingAfresh Sat 08-Jan-11 02:19:14

And I wish people would stop associating sleep with development.

There is no link, - unless you want to tell your dull colleague that your dd has more learning opportunities during the day since she is awake for more of it!

Orissiah Sat 08-Jan-11 16:22:06

Give me long night time sleeps over naps any day!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now