Talk

Advanced search

Daytime naps - 3 month old - no routine, short, random or no naps - does it matter? - help

(7 Posts)
polar515 Fri 07-Jan-11 11:37:36

My 14 week old DS doesn't really sleep in the day unless we're out in the car seat(when he can sleep for up to 2 hours)or occasionally if bounced in his bouncer chair. If he does go to sleep in the bouncer chair it's for 1/2 hour only.

I look for signs of tiredness etc but there doesn't seem to be many when we're at home!

I am BF and there is not really a routine with time of feeds so no routine with sleeps either.

Roughly, he feeds every 3 hours but as his waking up time varies this means the feed times throughout the day vary.

He is a contented happy baby mostly. We do have a bedtime routine where he goes to bed at 7 and does go to sleep, so not complaints there.

Would be interested to hear is people feel a daytime nap routine is helpful at this age / any age / influences baby's behaviour generally / any tips / advice re how to do it / or should I not be worried and take his lead?

Chil1234 Fri 07-Jan-11 11:44:01

My only set element was bedtime and, beyond that, I didn't much mind when/where he went to sleep during the day exactly as long as he got a reasonable amount and wasn't grumpy. We were often doing things during the day and I didn't want rigid nap times getting in the way. He did seem to develop a rough routine of his own, having said that, but he didn't need to be in a particular place to sleep... just nodded off as and when.

marzipananimal Fri 07-Jan-11 12:16:29

if he's not grumpy in the day and sleeps well at night i wouldn't worry. I try to get ds (4months) to have a nap when he's been awake for about 2 hours and I watch out for yawns/eye rubbing. So he usually has 3 naps a day but times vary a lot (no feeding routine either). Seems to work ok although he's not very good at falling asleep without help

polar515 Fri 07-Jan-11 12:32:00

Thanks. Does a routine for naps / need for this become more important as they get older - say 6 months + or do you think it's always Ok to go with the flow!?

fifitot Fri 07-Jan-11 12:32:49

DD seldom had a set nap until she went to nursery at 7 months when they managed to get her into a routine. Until then she slept in the car or pram when it suited her, not really a set time, just fitted in when we were out.

DS on the other hand loves his set nap times.

Whatever works.

Chil1234 Fri 07-Jan-11 12:48:34

I don't think a routine is more important as they get older exactly. But I do think that as they get older and more active you have to be more alert to them getting tired and make them have a nap before they get to the crabby stage. Some are like the Duracell Bunny and will run themselves into the ground if you don't intervene.

juniorjay Thu 13-Jan-11 18:43:12

My lo is 11 weeks old and i don't have a routine in the day time only at night. I bath at 9.00 then nice and warm bottle then bed which she will sleep until 6.30-7.30. She is awake alot more in the daytime tho and will drink alot more. But she is happy and healthy and we all get a good nights sleep too Whatever suits you and your little one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now