Talk

Advanced search

ok so this is what hell feels like

(32 Posts)
mjinsparklystockings Wed 05-Jan-11 20:54:24

Message withdrawn

SiameseSnowCat Wed 05-Jan-11 20:59:04

mj I couldn't let you sit there alone but I have no advice. I haven't slept more than 4 1/2 hrs in 10 months if that helps... Hopefully the work you Aw putting in now will pay off. Are you doing pupd with DS?

girliefriend Wed 05-Jan-11 21:04:32

Because you are struggling your dc will struggle. If they think you are stressing and not coping with them crying they are even less likely to settle. You need to be calm, consistant and even if you don't feel it act like everything is fine - its just bedtime and at bedtime babies need to go to sleep. No one likes to see their babies distressed but they are crying bacause they are tired!!! And you are teaching them a valuable life long lesson in how to sleep. Keep going, it will be worth it!!

TragicallyHip Wed 05-Jan-11 21:08:29

Not too much advice for you re the sleep training but maybe put in some ear phones or ear plugs in to dull the noise of the crying?

I feel for as it's horrible to hear them so upset!

mjinsparklystockings Wed 05-Jan-11 21:08:31

Message withdrawn

mjinsparklystockings Wed 05-Jan-11 21:11:09

Message withdrawn

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 05-Jan-11 21:16:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TragicallyHip Wed 05-Jan-11 21:16:59

Glad you've got something good to focus on grin

compo Wed 05-Jan-11 21:21:05

Sounds like too much faffing to me
cut the play out
bath story bed
as soon as he gets out of bed go in and say 'IRS bedtime' straight back to bed

and repeat

my dd is 4.3

We've just started a star chart for bedtime blush

mjovertherainbow Wed 05-Jan-11 21:26:27

Message withdrawn

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Jan-11 21:28:55

I was going to say do you think you've bitten off too much at once here? Why not deal with DS first and carry on with DD as normal, and then worry about DD in a few months time.

Sorry that may not be hugely helpful, but you sound so stressed and unhappy and your DCs are bound to be picking up on that.
I also think that you and DH swapping between children and back and forth doesn't sound very conducive to sleep for them, it all sounds very chaotic.

Have that G&T and chocolate and hopefully you'll feel better!

mjovertherainbow Wed 05-Jan-11 21:29:11

Message withdrawn

mjovertherainbow Wed 05-Jan-11 21:32:37

Message withdrawn

mjovertherainbow Wed 05-Jan-11 21:33:41

Message withdrawn

TheBolter Wed 05-Jan-11 21:33:50

TBH, by doing pick up /put down, and sitting next to her while she cries I think you could be confusing her.

Can you not do controlled crying? It's nothing like as barbaric as people seem to think it is - you don't eave them to cry it out you just leave them for timed periods to go to sleep on their own.

It does work, if you're prepared to be strong and resolute and not cave in on night three. No one likes to hear their children cry, you're not an exception.

I have a feeling though that you and I probably have a very different approach to bedtime - not saying either is 'better' than the other, just clearly very different.

But you do need to function properly, and there are times when you need to put yourself first. Good luck.

TheBolter Wed 05-Jan-11 21:35:05

Star charts fab... worked for dd1 age 3 grin

mjovertherainbow Wed 05-Jan-11 21:37:00

Message withdrawn

mjovertherainbow Wed 05-Jan-11 21:38:51

Message withdrawn

TheBolter Wed 05-Jan-11 21:41:00

mj - no I can sense the desperation in your tone! I have had horrific insomnia in the past (not to mention a fair share of night wakings!) so know how awful sleep deprivation is.

I'm quite obsessed with getting sleep because without it I feel really depressed. Because of this I can be quite ruthless about ensuring I get enough... for the benefit of all those around me!

TheBolter Wed 05-Jan-11 21:41:36

Well done mj, enjoy your g&t smile

pythonmum Wed 05-Jan-11 21:49:27

Well done mj. My children are much older but I remember the traumas you are suffering vividly. Just wanted to post to say it will be worth it, my DS was a nightmare sleeper but we persisted and once he got in the swing of it was great and could sleep on a washing line from then on.

Enjoy the g&t!

harverina Wed 05-Jan-11 21:53:57

MJ, I have just been reading www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic =451.0 interview with Tracy Hogg when I saw your thread. Are you doing pat and shush aswell or is your DD too old for that?

harverina Wed 05-Jan-11 21:55:03

Oops, I meant this

mjovertherainbow Wed 05-Jan-11 22:01:47

Message withdrawn

mjovertherainbow Thu 06-Jan-11 00:19:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: