Talk

Advanced search

help! ds (12 weeks) didn't settle till after 4am last night, not sure whats gone wrong

(8 Posts)
tiredfeet Tue 04-Jan-11 14:54:03

when ds was born we started off co-sleeping, as it was just easier to breastfeed and post caesarean. He normally went down in his moses basket in the day time for naps, although sometimes slept on me or DH. I started getting fed up of co-sleeping as didn't seem like a very good quality of sleep, so we tried putting ds to sleep in his cot and he was managing midnight till 7am sleeps before christmas, then would wake to feed and sleep again till 10 am. we went away for christmas and he was unsettled, so somenights we ended up co-sleeping again, he still seemed to roughly sleep from midnight / 1am until 10ish in the morning.
last night was grim though, he just wouldn't settle at all, nothing worked until he finally went to sleep in our bed, after a feed, past 4am. we had managed to walk/ rock him to sleep a couple of times but he would wake as soon as he was put down
I don't know whats gone wrong, he had had a brief sleep from 9pm-9.40ish but then was basically awake until 4am!

also, I would really like to push his sleep back so he sleeps in the evening and wakes earlier in the morning, but not sure how to go about this? he just fell into a pattern of sleeping (with some feeding) being until about 10 in the morning, I guess because we were shattered from being awake with him in the night, so we would sleep until then too (DH works for himself so just started the day later).

any tips? It feels so chaotic at the minute but I am too sleep deprived to think clearly now.

RufflesKerfluffles Tue 04-Jan-11 16:00:32

Is it possible he's going through a growth spurt at the moment, and is just hungrier than usual? I think 12 weeks might be one of the standard ones? If so, just feed and feed, he will up your supply, and it should pass in a few days.

tiredfeet Tue 04-Jan-11 17:10:30

He wasn't really feeding any more than normal though I don't think, he just wouldn't settle off to sleep

Starting to worry about tonight already!

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Tue 04-Jan-11 17:11:09

Has he been getting decent naps overthe xmas period? Sounds like he could be overtired plus a growth spurt means that his sleep needs sorting. I'd spend a week making sure he gets decent naps and try for bedtime around half 6/7. Should take a week or so to kick in.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Tue 04-Jan-11 17:12:54

Forgot to add - DS used to do this when he was massively overstimulated and kept awake too long so I had to give him naps after being awake for 45-90 mins (depending on his signs).

tiredfeet Tue 04-Jan-11 18:17:00

Oh could be partly that. We were pretty good at getting him to nap over christmas,he tended to need sleep more frequently due to being overstimulated too. but yesterday he didn't sleep much in the day at all. Maybe unsettled after our journey home?
He's gone down for one 2.5 hour nap today (partly in sling out walking) and is sleeping again now (been asleep since 5)

tiredfeet Wed 05-Jan-11 08:08:14

Well, went to bed at 9 with ds, to try and start an earlier bedtime, and the fussiness began. After discussing with DH we realised the evenimg fussing began when I went to bed with him, whatever time that was. So...
I tried feeding ds sat on sofa in his nursery, and he fed well and went off to sleep happuily. Slept all night in his cot there for first time. He woke every two hours to begin with but this had streched to three by end of the night smile
Bit sad to no longer be co-sleeping but it is so worth it if it means a good nights sleep for us all. Just brought ds into my bed for his morning feed and it definitely made him windier (worth it though for some wake up cuddles!)

Iggly Wed 05-Jan-11 08:29:28

That's great! I'm sure there will be times when cosleeping is back on the cards but glad it was a better night. I hope you got some sleep too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now