Talk

Advanced search

9 wk old very noisy sleeper, can't cope with sleep deprivation!

(7 Posts)
Dreemagurl Mon 03-Jan-11 09:23:39

My 9 wk DD is a REALLY noisy sleeper and it's driving me mad. She doesn't nap properly during the day so is overtired in the evening, and takes ages to go down properly. Once down however she sleeps quite well until about 1 - 3 am. Then she starts grunting, straining as if for a poo, tossing and turning. I swaddle her at bedtime but she always manages to wriggle out of it. Tried feeding her but she gobbles frantically at breast for 5 mins and then gives up - and once she's back down the noises continue. Tried offering cooled boiled water but hasn't made a difference. Am at my wits end, having woken up at half one the past 3 nights running and not got back to sleep, plus I have a really bad cold so feeling rubbish anyway but having to smother my coughs and sneezes so as not to wake her. Any ideas as to how I can quieten her down? If it is that she needs a poo, how can I help her along with it? Am so desperate and frustrated, motherhood isn't bringing any enjoyment for me and I can't help thinking sometimes I wish she hadn't been born. I know it sounds awful and I feel so guilty but I'm just so so tired

Mull Mon 03-Jan-11 09:35:24

PLEASE don't feel guilty about your feelings. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture and it is really, really hard work with a new baby.

My DS (now 9mo) was a really noisy sleeper. He did all those straining, grunting noises you mentioned. I kept picking him up, thinking he needed more winding but there was nothing there. Then I realised he was completely asleep so thought it was better to let him get on with it!

We ended up moving him into his own room at 5 weeks blush as I was getting no sleep. I was also having night terrors about falling asleep while feeding him in bed and smothering / dropping him. I know it is against the SIDS advice but it worked for us. I bought a movement monitor which gave me the confidence to leave him.

HTH

SeaShellsFiringUpTheQuattro Mon 03-Jan-11 09:37:17

Try infacol to aid with winding as she may be uncomfortable from wind? A bath and a gentle massage yo help her poo/pass wind before bedtime? It's tough...I sleep with ear plugs in as dd is in her cot next to me and mutters away in her sleep (13weeks)

I hope she gets better soon

beanlet Mon 03-Jan-11 09:38:55

Can you move baby's crib to the other side of the room? I found DS's snuffling quite disturbing when he was right next to me, but it's easier now he's further away and I can still hear him easily when he's hungry.

Dreemagurl Mon 03-Jan-11 12:45:34

Unfortunately infacol makes her reflux much worse and our room isn't big enough for her to be moved anywhere else. I've started thinking about moving her to the nursery but she's so young and I'd rather try and figure out what's causing the problem as I'm sure it's disturbing her sleep too. Just managed to get her down for a nap and she's been asleep for 40 mins - a record!

plasticspoon Mon 03-Jan-11 12:58:56

Hi dreemagurl, I feel your pain! My 9 week old ds is a nightmare sleeper too. No magic tips I'm afraid but I've found the summer infant swaddle pod easier than a blanket as it just zips up the front and is harder for them to wiggle out of. I got mine from Mothercare.

We have no daytime naps at all unless I stick him in the sling (I have a wilkinet currently) and head out the door. He hates it at first but then falls asleep. Of course it means I spend hours out with the dogs or walking round the shops, but it's better than the alternative!

Totally with you on the bone-crushing tiredness and wishing they had never been born at dark moments...I even started this thread the other day. You might find it comforting to read, I know I have!

SeaShellsFiringUpTheQuattro Mon 03-Jan-11 14:18:04

Ah, reflux I hope it gets better soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: