Talk

Advanced search

Best blackout products... Snoozeshade? Window film?

(7 Posts)
fromheretomaternity Sat 01-Jan-11 09:21:59

Ds2 is a pretty good sleeper at night but rubbish at naps - wants to be held, wakes five minutes after being put down etc. Am wondering if it's the light that's the problem. I don't want to go to the hassle of fitting blackout Curtains / blinds in case it's not really the light making a difference. Has anyone tried Snoozeshade (so I put him to nap in his buggy indoors) or that window film so I could block the light in his bedroom? Thanks!

enimod Sat 01-Jan-11 09:33:44

have tried both- if ds2 is big i doubt the snoozeshade would be any good- he would kick it off. the cheapest way we did this for ds1 was to get balckout material from a cheap shop and velcro-we stuck velcro all around frame top and on blackout blind and little bit at sides-it did the trick. with ds2 we have bought something online which is practically the same but the material doesnt have velcro on it the material itself will stick to the velscro- it was pricey well about 30 pounds-but very easy. i treid the film stuff- no good it lost its stick especially if you get condensation.

fromheretomaternity Sat 01-Jan-11 09:46:10

He is still tiny (2 months) so snoozeshade may work. I guess the Velcro sticks to the window frame, bit worried it might pull the paint off, what do you reckon?

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Jan-11 09:57:23

WE had this black out blind. It uses sukcers to stick on the window glass.

berri Sat 01-Jan-11 10:02:42

We've got the grobag one - got it in John Lewis I think, also uses suckers. It's been great and I'm sure DS sleeps much better with it up. Great to be able to take it up and down so easily.

elvisgirl Sat 01-Jan-11 10:11:00

It probably isn't the light at such a young age. It is very common for babes to have difficulty getting into a proper sleep at naptime and then to keep sleeping after one sleep cycle (ie longer than 35-45minutes). By all means do try the blackout thing as it can't hurt & might work, but otherwise be assured it's just part of normal development, annoying as it is.

This sounds obvious & I'm sure you've thought of it but if you are holding babe make sure you are not putting him down until he is fully into the first sleep cycle, otherwise the removal from your warmth & smell will be what's causing him to wake up. Or try a carrier, or the alternative of getting him to sleep not being held. I like to consider myself a natural-parenting type but in those early months we used a swing & rocking in a bassinette to get our DS to sleep for naps when feeding to sleep didn't work. Later it progressed to stroking & patting in the cot, stroking lightly down the temple & forehead to encourage eyes to close. Good luck!

fromheretomaternity Sat 01-Jan-11 11:21:34

You may be right Elvisgirl - we went through something similar with ds1 - but this time am mystified as how ds2 can seemingly self settle at night and sleeps well but really struggles in the day, the light is the only thing I can think of.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: