Talk

Advanced search

Baby wanting a feed half way through nap

(1 Post)
Mothigail Fri 31-Dec-10 13:50:45

For the past two nights I have managed to put my 5-month-old to sleep in his cot and without my boob in his mouth (I suppose it would be hard to do both of these things at the same time...fnar). I decided to start trying this as he was feeding very well and often at night (average 4 wakings, often more) and feeding really badly and hardly at all during the day (seemed distracted). I thought if I broke the milk/sleep association a little it might make feeding more of a daytime thing and so far it has worked fairly well. He went to sleep last night without any fuss in his cot, quarter of an hour after a feed and with a bit of patting. He only woke up at 11pm and 3am for feeds, which was a triumph for us.

My oooonly trouble is that he is still, naturally, desperate desperate to feed himself to sleep during the day. I put him down for a nap earlier when he was sleepy after a feed (without allowing him to sleep on the breast). When he woke up an hour later I thought he was just after a feed and would then play, etc, but he was clearly sucking his way back to sleep again. If I´m wanting him, in the long term, to learn to self-settle, should I be trying to stop this thing happening? Or is it bad to not try to break it, given that we are trying to impliment some kind of night-time routine that does not involve needing to suck to sleep? Is he too young for all this? My main aim was to promote daytime feeding. Am I going to manage that if I'm annoying him by keeping him awake during feeds? My head is in a spin...sorry for the long opener...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: