Talk

Advanced search

Which dummy as alternative to my little finger?

(9 Posts)
MumtoF Thu 30-Dec-10 19:29:38

Hi,

DD (10 weeks) chews or spits out her dummy so was thinking of trying a different brand. The only time I can get her to take it is in the baby bjorn and that is just because it is wedged in her mouth. We started giving her a dummy at less than 2 weeks old.

In order to go to sleep she has to suck an upturned little finger so that the fleshy part of the finger is on the roof of her mouth. This is very inconvenient as you can imagine so need to find a dummy that she likes. Anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions for a good dummy gratefully received! (she is EBF).

Thanks!

TheManWhoSoldtheWorld Thu 30-Dec-10 20:04:13

Which brand do you use? We had tried Avent and other orthodontic shaped ones.

Someone on here <sorry forget who blush> suggested cherry teat ones and they worked with DD.

xMrsSx Thu 30-Dec-10 21:15:00

My DS was the same - a real finger sucker. Tried the Tommee Tippee orthodontic ones but he spits them out. Success with a cheapy Tesco's own cherry one! He will now take a avent one too which is similar in shape to the Tommee Tippee. I think he is used to the idea of a dummy now.
DS 8 weeks.

LynetteScavo Thu 30-Dec-10 21:18:23

I advise you to buy a complete selection, and test mademoiselle with all of them to find out which one she likes best.....

JazzieJeff Thu 30-Dec-10 21:27:45

A vote for mam here... DS used their 6m+ ortho ones from 6 weeks (by mistake, might I add. I fell for their pretty colours and failed utterly to look at the label) and they're brillo. Because they're a nice shape, he sucks until he's had enough (usually about 10 minutes) and spits it out of his own accord. He's not 'addicted' to it or whatever, sometimes I leave it in to help settle him if he's overtired to give him the message to sleep and he just turns his head to the side and spits it when he's done.
The TT ones were too small IMO, he couldn't hold them in for long enough to comfort himself.

AnyFuleKno Thu 30-Dec-10 21:38:10

Had this with dd and she never would take a dummy. She found her thumb at 6 mo

breatheslowly Fri 31-Dec-10 22:38:12

DD was like this just a few weeks ago. She is now 16 weeks and has found her thumb. She does still suck my little finger but not nearly as much. On the plus side she can't lose her thumb, I sometimes wake up to the sound of furious sucking. On the other hand I won't be able to take her thumb away when I want her to stop in a few months.

strandednomore Sat 01-Jan-11 11:34:03

Dd1 was never interested in a dummy and found her thumb when she was a few weeks old.

Dd2 took to Mam dummies like a duck to water and still uses them at night now she is three.

Are you sure you want to go down the dummy route? If so I would wholly recommend Mam.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 01-Jan-11 15:33:53

I have a 5.5mo DD who I am trying to get OFF the dummies as she has started waking up every couple of hours in the night and can't get back off to sleep again without the dummy, so I have to get up plug it back in and am getting less sleep than when she was a newborn... If I were you and your DD doesn't want the dummy I really wouldn't force it on her as it causes more issues down the line in my albeit very limited experience!

I have learnt my own lesson and will not be using dummies for DC2!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now