Talk

Advanced search

Duracell Baby

(5 Posts)
meepymeepmeep Mon 27-Dec-10 22:33:26

Help - My 4 week old DS doesn't sleep much in a day at all! He sleeps for 2 x 3 hour stints at night (on a good night) but he never normally naps at all during the day - on a really good day he will sleep for maybe 10 hours out of 24. I do all I can to settle him before he gets overtired but nothing is helping him sleep more and I am starting to worry that something may be wrong with him. He is EBF, only really cries when hungry and is gaining weight and seems alert (too alert!!!) and healthy. He looks tired and ready to sleep when fed/rocked and cuddled, eyes rolling back a wee bit when his eyes are closed and yawning etc., as soon as we put him down he is wide awake. Any advice/comments would be very welcome.

CageBird Tue 28-Dec-10 10:29:20

Congrats on your little boy. Mine (now 4 months) was very similar. He has silent reflux (you could read up about symptoms) which I'm sure was the problem. At 4 weeks I pretty much wore him in a sling during the day. He now has his day time naps sitting in his buggy because it's the lying flat that does not agree with him.

Any sleep is better than no sleep, so I think it's worth trying to soothe him to sleep as much as you have the patience to do. Bung him in a sling if you can.

meepymeepmeep Tue 28-Dec-10 18:05:01

Thanks - I think he may have silent reflux as he curls up backwards and grunts a lot - am going to go to my GP tomorrow and see if he can help

meepymeepmeep Tue 28-Dec-10 18:05:03

Thanks - I think he may have silent reflux as he curls up backwards and grunts a lot - am going to go to my GP tomorrow and see if he can help

narmada Tue 28-Dec-10 22:38:12

My DD was like this. Everyone told us she was just one extreme end of normal - she wasn't - she had silent reflux, like cagedbird's son. My 10 week old DS has it also, similar problems with sleeping.

Definitely worth getting checked for reflux but be warned some GPs don't believe in it or won't treat it if the baby is putting on weight and otherwise happy. You may need to be quite insistent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: