Talk

Advanced search

How do you get to sleep at night?

(17 Posts)
Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 26-Dec-10 15:30:42

I've always been a bit of a troubled sleeper. In order to get to sleep I try various things, lavender on my pillow, rescue remedy night time spray, and I also listen to Harry potter on my iPod to distract me from wandering thoughts.

I have a 13 week old baby so am up various times in the night, and often her pattern changes. I often still struggle to get to sleep at night or early morning.

Just wondering how other people get to sleep? I've tried a few of those sleep CDs but don't really like them.

Panzee Sun 26-Dec-10 15:36:05

I try naming things through the alphabet, e.g. girls' names, (Anna, Belinda, Cara etc), boys' names, countries etc. It's not often I get to Z!

slipperandpjsmum Sun 26-Dec-10 15:40:56

Are you bf? There are lots of remedies available which I have tried but you may not want to if you are. Nytol I find works quite well. But I know what you mean its horrible not being able to get to sleep.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 26-Dec-10 17:46:03

I'm bfing and from what I have read valerian isn't recommended. That's the main ingedient of these herbal remedies.

The alphabet thing is a good idea but I wonder if it would be more distracting?

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Sun 26-Dec-10 17:50:08

I always found breastfeeding helps me drop off to sleep. But I co-slept so I didn't have to resettle the baby in a cot after feeding.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 26-Dec-10 19:47:21

I don't co-sleep and I always need to go to the loo when I wake up to feed!

LadyintheRadiator Sun 26-Dec-10 19:49:39

Hello, I have had trouble dropping off since DD was born. Was going to suggest an audiobook or even white noise? I like DD's slumber bear on the ocean setting blush or I count backwards from 300, not sure I have ever reached 200 but often have to restart hmm

[chocolate teapot emoticon]

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 26-Dec-10 20:37:38

No no the counting backwards thing is what Paul McKenna does so that is obviously a good technique. I had really bad problems when dd was first born, but I think the problem is dd is a bit unpredictable ATM. I'm a pretty anxious sleeper anyway and have always struggled to get to sleep, hence the audio books.

LadyintheRadiator Sun 26-Dec-10 20:55:25

Were you like this with DD1? If so did it get better between then and now or has it always been difficult?

Do any of the normal wind-down type things help like a bath or warm drink. When I lived alone I'd put a film on to go to sleep, but think now that would drive me mad, darkness and peace seem so bloody rare as it is.

You say you've tried sleep CDs, what are they, rainforest noises etc or a voice saying you are very sleepy, close your eyes etc? I had an app on my iPod that played a heavy rainfall noise that I liked, I used to use it for DS when he was a baby.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 26-Dec-10 21:10:04

I don't really wind down, think that is part of the problem. Once dd is asleep I'm desperate to get myself to sleep before the next wake up. Harry potter is usually ok as it is familiar enough not to keep me awake but distracts me from wandering thoughts that keep me awake.

I've always struggled a bit. Had really bad insomnia when I was pg.

I do have a White noise app, I quite like the sea one. I'll try that.

Dreemagurl Sun 26-Dec-10 21:35:03

I have the same problem - once awake I can't get back to sleep so even if LO is sleeping peacefully I'm still sleep deprived Used to find hot milky drink helpful but LO has decided dairy upsets her (bf) so no go there anymore. Lavender helps and have been taking Kalms herbal sleep tablets although am worried now as I didn't know about the valerian!
What helps as well is closing your eyes and breathing deeply in time with your heart beat, usually 2 beats inhale, 2 beats exhale.
Fingers crossed we'll sleep tonight!

bounty007 Sun 26-Dec-10 21:43:39

Paul Mckenna 'sleep like a log' CD is fab
also the pilates book that I am trying to read... I can't get past page one without falling asleep blush

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 26-Dec-10 22:15:21

Reading keeps me awake unfortunately, even boring ones!

Dreemagurl don't worry too much, the searching I did on valerian was inconclusive but not recommended. Shame as I was partial to dr Stuarts valerian tea.

debka Mon 27-Dec-10 21:35:49

Try going for your wee BEFORE you feed.

ginger2000 Tue 28-Dec-10 09:41:34

i'd second the alphabet game - have done it to help my insomnia that has plagued me on and off since i was a child. I don't find it sistracting even though on a bad night, I might have to go through 3 or more times with different subjects! It stops me thinking about more 'important' things that keep me awake. Have just taught this technique to dd1 (who is 6) to help her when she struggles to drop off.

MamaChris Wed 29-Dec-10 10:11:00

agree with debka - wee before you feed (taking dc with you, if necessary). I am terrible sleeper (can't stop THINKING) and often awake from 2-6 (then drop off just as toddler wakes up). Little advice I'm afraid, but watching with interest. Will try the alphabet game. I do know that when I'm desperate to get to sleep I never will. Better to treat it as time when you can lie down and let your body rest, and try not to focus on the sleep part, I find.

InmaculadaConcepcion Thu 30-Dec-10 18:39:25

I've started bringing DD into bed with me if she wakes 05.00 plus. Although I'm not a great co-sleeper, I actually manage to doze a bit, even with DD latched on and she usually relaxes and feeds sleepily and usually gets some more kip herself sooner or later.

Although I don't get masses of extra sleep this way, I do get SOME, which is more than I tended to get if I tried to persuade DD back into her cot at that hour.

I'm the same about needing a wee - I always nip out and go when I hear DD wake up so I can just slide back into bed when I've fed and re-settled her without having to stress about my bladder. She has to whinge for an extra minute only.

Also, when I feed (which I do sitting up in a chair), I keep my eyes closed (I don't turn any lights on) - it helps me stay relaxed so I can get back to sleep more quickly.

My DD still has unpredictable night waking patterns at 11 months - it's a bummer isn't it? And ironically, I usually sleep worse if she has a better night.

Hey ho <rubs weary eyes>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now