Talk

Advanced search

"The wonder weeks", whats in store this week?

(10 Posts)
SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Tue 21-Dec-10 11:28:28

I've ordered a copy of "the wonder weeks" but due to the weather its not arrived yet.

Can anyone give me a basic summary of week 6 please? (isn't this week the magic one where everything should just click? hmm )

TIA

fifitot Tue 21-Dec-10 12:51:14

Ha ha ha ha hah...........

Still grimly waiting for that click at 5 months!

Good luck.

SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Tue 21-Dec-10 12:57:46

Yeah i know i'm not convinced either, i mentally pat myself on the back for even just realising when DS is hungry or needs his bum changed grin

Giddyup Tue 21-Dec-10 13:17:28

DD is 6 weeks and its slowly all going to shit! She started off feeding really well, sleeping 8 hrs, then 4 hrs at night nearly every night, taking luxurious 3 or 4 hr naps in the day and self settling beautifully... Now she is like a new born, I've got no idea what she wants or when and nor has she.

I think she is starting to reject breast feeding and she won't sleep for toffee. I think its week 7 it all clicks into place as she was nearly a week overdue wink

CountBapula Tue 21-Dec-10 13:36:47

I don't have the book but at 6 weeks my DS went mental - constant feeding, fussing, sleep fighting, refusing to be put down. He was the same at 3 weeks, 9 weeks and 12 weeks. I think this is when the growth spurts are (though never read about 9 week one, think DS just invented that one to keep us on our toes grin). I remember feeling really cheated because everyone told me 6 weeks was the magic 'click' you describe, when in fact it was one of the toughest bits for me. In fact, since DS has got through the 12-week spurt, he has seemed much happier and more settled.

Just psyching myself up for the four-month sleep regression now ... hmm.

LaTristesse Tue 21-Dec-10 14:50:37

Book jumps from 5 to 8 - I can summarise one of those for you, or you can assume that week 6 is uneventful?! grin

SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Wed 22-Dec-10 09:49:39

hmmm not sure i wanted to hear some of that grin was hoping you'd all be telling me DS was going to all of a sudden sleep for 8 hours solidly at night and be perfectly content and cheerful all day...........

giddyup if your reasoning works i've got to sit it out until 8 weeks as he went well overdue.

Count my DS seemed to be doing all of that stuff last week, so im hoping he's fnished his growth spurt and his refusal to sleep for more than 90 mins at a time at night.

LaTristesse, is 8 weeks the next big mental development stage then?

Cosmosis Wed 22-Dec-10 09:59:48

I think they say 6 weeks for it "clicking" because that is often when they start smiling at you so you get some feedback. I can't see any other reason anyway!

LaTristesse Wed 22-Dec-10 18:36:07

Yes, week 8 - the world of patterns!

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 18:49:31

Is it this book, but in English?

If so, the IIRC (It's been a while) week 6 is an 'update' week (no idea what term they use in English). BUT, that's 6 weeks after EDD not birth.

Basically during each 'update' period all hell breaks loose and once DC calms down again you notice they can do all sorts of new stuff. There's always a menu of new abilities but obviously babies differ as to what they do when. The lists give the earliest date that each advancement is possible.

It's an excellent book and was scarily accurate with both of my DC, my copy is now with a friend who has found the same with her DD. I found that it was really helpful to know when to expect the hellish periods and enjoyed looking out for the burst of new abilities.

The book only goes up to 18 months (when the research stopped) but once you know what to look for you see these 'updates' happening well beyond that age. DS (3) still has them, although they get increasingly subtle with age.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: