Talk

Advanced search

5 month old - am getting no sleep - help

(8 Posts)
butternut234 Tue 21-Dec-10 03:35:40

My 5 month old has just learnt to roll to his right. He has started practising in his sleep, which wakes him up a) as he rolls on to his tummy and gets stuck and b) - more alarmingly - he rolls with a dramatic flourish and if in the centre of the cot to start with, bangs his head quite heavily against the cot shock.

So far, I've put him right against the other side of the cot, as he can't roll that way yet and that gives him room to do his roll without injury.

But... at night it's very hard to put him down (he's asleep always before he goes into his cot but that's another issue...) as he'll roll straightaway and then cry. It can take several goes, and lots of removing myself limb by limb!

Then, he wakes up every 40-45 minutes overnight. He's not hungry except for a couple of times, he wakes up because he rolls (in his light sleep I think) which gives him a fright and wakes him up.

What can I do? He and I are both soooo tired! Luckily my DH has nearly finished for Christmas so can help in the night too but I'm a bit worried one night we'll fall asleep with him on the sofa while trying to settle him shock.

And today for the first time he rolled to the left - if I have to put him back in the middle of the cot to start with he'll hurt his head every time he rolls (it's a fair whack as it comes at the end of his roll when he's built up momentum).

Please tell me this is a phase!

Up until this point, he used to wake every 2-3 hours at night, which I could cope with, but I am just beyond exhausted with this - last night the room was spinning when I lay in bed (sadly not due to a night of festive cocktails as in the pre-baby days!). During the day he has about 4 catnaps of 45 minutes, so it's hard to catch up sleep then either.

I don't want to co-sleep as I'm a bit too worried about the SIDS risk. He's in a cot right next to my bed.

Thank you in advance!

OnEdge Tue 21-Dec-10 03:48:06

erm...how about swaddling him ? Could you use cot bumpers ?

butternut234 Tue 21-Dec-10 04:05:37

He rolls in a swaddle unfortunately (and sleeping bags etc), and we're not allowed to use cot bumpers here due to SIDS risk...

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Tue 21-Dec-10 05:43:16

co sleep by the rules and it will be fine smile

butternut234 Tue 11-Jan-11 19:09:24

I don't feel comfortable co sleeping - we are both very heavy sleepers (when we get the chance) and I am both exhausted and have huge boobs which are both supposed to be not good for co sleeping.

Any other tips? I'm shattered sad

Wafflepuss Tue 11-Jan-11 19:12:45

You can get sleep positioners which keep the baby flat on their backs, or sides or whichever way you want them to sleep. Perfectly safe and will stop him rolling over and waking himself up

StartingAfresh Tue 11-Jan-11 19:14:13

You can get these baby rolling preventer things. They are two cylinders covered in breathable mesh joined together with a sheet, and you place the baby in between them.

I can't remember what they are called though.

However, in 10 days time you will have muddled through for a whole month and I reckon this phase will be over shortly.

You've managed by hook or by crook, - just hang in there!

jandmmum Wed 12-Jan-11 05:59:58

try this
am feeling your pain although not due to rolling. Feel that is coming soon though as dd is almost there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now