Talk

Advanced search

Oh crap! Any advice for gymnastic 11 month old?

(8 Posts)
Thingiebob Mon 20-Dec-10 23:47:32

My just turned 11 month old managed to climb over the cot side and fell with a thud onto the floor today whilst I had my back turned putting laundry away. She was momentarily stunned, cried loudly for about a minute, then immediately went back to playing with her toys and behaving normally.

She doesn't seem to have a scratch or bump on her, I poked and prodded her limbs, ribcage and neck to see if I could detect any injuries. She found this immensely entertaining and as far as I can see she seems unscathed. I am snowed in so can't get to A and E. I have kept a close eye on her all day and would call a doctor if I think necessary.

Now, it was ok this time but what can I do to prevent this happening again? she is currently in our room but we would like to move her into her own room in the New Year. I am really anxious now that this will become a problem. Does anyone else have experience of this?

If I take out her out of the cot and onto a mattress on the floor, I suppose I will need to take steps to stop her from 'escaping' from her room.

Any tips? This is actually putting me off moving her out of our room.

feetheart Mon 20-Dec-10 23:58:44

Do you have a drop-down cot side? DD had taught DS how to drop the bars of his cot by this age so we left it like that, much safer than him climbing over it - we had the sickening thump on the floor too. We also had him turn up in our room when he had been in his cot shock

Would also recommend Tumble Tots as they learn to climb safely there.

Thingiebob Tue 21-Dec-10 00:20:23

it does drop down, but won't this make it even easier for her to climb out?

I had to chuckle at your son turning up in your room!

I had my ankles grabbed when washing dishes not so long ago when she was supposed to be strapped into her rocker chair in the front room!

It's so hard to contain her!

llareggub Tue 21-Dec-10 00:23:14

A bed is probably the safest thing for her. I had to put both my sons in a bed for the same reason when they were around 12 months. I just made sure upstairs was safe and we have a stairgate to stop escapees joining us downstairs.

TheUnmentioned Tue 21-Dec-10 00:23:39

It will make it easier for her to climb out but it will make it less likely that she will fall and hurt herself.

MrsRhettButler Tue 21-Dec-10 00:26:27

agree, just put her in a bed, now she knows how to climb out she will carry on doing so.... might as well put her in a bed

Thingiebob Tue 21-Dec-10 00:43:22

Ok so put the drop side down then. Bit nervous as it seems counter-intuitive! She will still fall quite a way even with the dropside down as it only lowers a short way but I suppose she wouldn't fall as far. She can still land on her head though. Perhaps I can teach her to clamber out safely, or does that sound completely nuts!

Stairgate across her room sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for your responses.

mjinsparklystockings Tue 21-Dec-10 01:15:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now