Talk

Advanced search

My IKEA Malm bed is making my life a misery.

(18 Posts)
tingletangle Sat 18-Dec-10 12:37:00

We have a superking Malm bed as we coslept with dd when she was smaller.

But the bed is a nightmare.

We did buy the two foam mattresses, the mattress that goes over the top of those and then a topper.

The topper slides off every night. I gave up after of year of getting up in the middle of the night, requiring everyone else to do the same so I could move the topper and mattress. When they move your pillow slips down the gap and you get neck ache from sleeping in a funny position.

I got rid of the topper and not just have the two foam mattresses and the super king mattress. But the top mattress still slides off meaning that I never get a comfy night sleep.

Have we done something wrong or should I just get rid of the bed?

belindarose Sat 18-Dec-10 12:41:36

I don't know if ours is a Malm as it's second hand, but we have exactly the same problem with our bloody mattress and topper. I haven't had a comfy night ever!
My lovely Nan is giving us £500 and we've decided to spend it on a new 'real' bed. Very excited, waiting for sales so that we can get the best quality possible for our money (probably also king or superking size as we'd like to co-sleep more with next DC if there is one).

MissFit Sat 18-Dec-10 12:41:53

Why do you need an extra mattress on top of your mattress <clueless> ? Surely you just need one mattress? Are you the princess and the pea? grin

DilysPrice Sat 18-Dec-10 12:45:08

DS has a single Malm handed down from DD with just a normal sprung (Sultan?) mattress, and it's super-comfy. Can you not just get a new top of the range mattress?

mollymax Sat 18-Dec-10 12:46:14

Could you put some of that non slip table protector type fabric, between the two mattresses?

tingletangle Sat 18-Dec-10 12:46:15

Because the base mattresses seems to be two single mattresses and then on top you have a superking mattress. I would imagine that if you just slept on the two single mattress you would fall down the middle.

We did have a topper as well at first but as I said we got rid of that.

brimfull Sat 18-Dec-10 12:47:44

what about a sheet covering all the mattresses

tingletangle Sat 18-Dec-10 12:48:01

Right have just been on the IKEA website and the bed frame is adjustable, maybe we have it set too high/

ToysRLuv Sat 18-Dec-10 19:32:21

I used to have that bed and never had these probs with it, but then again had one mattress instead of two. The mattress topper will ALWAYS move, but it can be pinned down a bit with a sheet that goes round the whole combination (some fitted sheets will reach that far, though, unless you get a size larger).

But let me tell you, I cursed that bed a million times over, because I kept bumping on the stupid sticky-out sideboards (to be fair it was a small room). My kneecaps will never be the same. HATE that bed. Now have the Hemnes. Sooo much better!

ToysRLuv Sat 18-Dec-10 19:34:04

Oh, you can also try to put some of that non-slip mat you put underneath rugs in between the mattress and the topper. That could well prevent sliding.

CarGirl Sat 18-Dec-10 19:36:43

This is really odd, we have 2 single ikea mattresses - different "firmnesses" with the gel topper - not movement here......

ToysRLuv Sat 18-Dec-10 19:56:28

CarGirl: Maybe the gel topper's heavy enough to stay in place? The topper we have is a fairly standard foam one.

fel1x Sat 18-Dec-10 19:59:38

Take the 2 single ones off and just use the super king size one?

CarGirl Sat 18-Dec-10 20:05:52

Ours are just on top of 2 single divan bases not even a frame........

Gel topper is def heavy though and a very deep fitted sheet over the top.

tingletangle Sat 18-Dec-10 23:05:39

The superkingsize one is little more than a topper to be honest. Maybe we will look into a gel topper.

tingletangle Sat 18-Dec-10 23:06:08

I am always banging my knees as well.

whensitgunnahappen Sat 18-Dec-10 23:11:32

Oh my god we had the same problem with the same bed! We gave up, bought a new one. I missed sleep too much! Xx

CarGirl Sun 19-Dec-10 14:30:52

The gel topper is really heavy so is obviously what makes the difference, it does wigglea couple of cms over a couple of weeks and I can't physically move it back to the correct place when I change the sheets!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: