Talk

Advanced search

8mth old wakes every hour...

(4 Posts)
sabinar Thu 09-Dec-10 22:50:06

My DS1 was never a great sleeper but DS2 is even worse... he seriously wakes pretty much every hour - day or night - seems like he never really goes into a proper, deep, baby sleep...

he's 8mths now, got worse when he started teething but was never great before. very occasionally he might put together a 2hr sleep during the day but this is very rare - much more likely to be a 30-40min nap.

he also has a propensity to think that it's time to wake up from his night time sleep at all kinds of crazy hours - sometimes 2am, sometimes 4am. 5.30am counts as a sleep in in our house these days.

I have the feeling that this is just who he is - he's perfectly happy when he's awake - but on the off chance anyone else has had similar and found a solution other than waiting for them to (hopefully) grow out of it...

lovingbeingamum Fri 10-Dec-10 07:50:56

I'm afraid I don't have a solution but I do share your dilemma to a degree. I have an 8 month old who has been waking every 45 mins to an hour from when he goes to bed until morning. It's particularly frequent between 11pm and 5am. It is totally exhausting me. The daytime sleeps are good, lengthy naps it is just at night when he wakes frequently. It seemed to start with teething as before that he wasn't too bad a sleeper. I don't know if it will ever stop now or how to make him stay asleep for longer. The only option other than waiting for them to grow out of it is controlled cying as far as I can tell, but I'm not very keen on that and see it as the last resort.
Any advice welcomed! Sorry I can't offer any help to you Sabinar.

sleepywombat Fri 10-Dec-10 09:37:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

browntown Fri 10-Dec-10 19:52:30

I had exactly this with DD when she was 7 months, although like lovingbeingamum she would sleep pretty well in the daytime - the waking every hour at night is exhausting.
I have friends who have tried CC with success. We used Andrea Grace's gradual withdrawal method and it worked within about a week, with her sleep times getting progressively longer. (You make sure you are not touching them at all when they go to sleep - just use your voice to soothe, and for the first couple of nights stay with them until they are asleep, then gradually leave sooner etc.)
Might be something for you to try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: