Talk

Advanced search

newborn & cosleeping advice please

(11 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Thu 09-Dec-10 19:42:39

I feel like a very useless 1st time mum, however DD2 nd I need some advice, she's 5 days old,matress for bed side cot doesnt arrive till tomorrow

can ypou tell me what you do / did when you co slept your baby from new born?

OnlyWantsOne Thu 09-Dec-10 20:30:46

what do i put ruby in to sleep so she doesnt get too hot??

MerryMarigold Thu 09-Dec-10 20:37:47

There's different schools of thought. Some say put in sleepsack on top of duvet. Some say (I think) that your heat will regulate babies. I used to put babygro with a cardigan and then put duvet just up to baby's waist (we have a very cold house!). I put duvet right over myself, so baby was higher up the bed than me iyswim. I have no idea if this is good/ recommended practise, but it's worked for me with 3 babies! I had no other adults in bed though, just me and baby.

MrsPickles Thu 09-Dec-10 20:38:37

OK, at newborn I would have baby in a sleepsuit and baby sleeping bag and have her on top of the covers. If you want her under the covers the advice is to use blankets rather than duvets, although I have always used a duvet because I haven't put my babies under the cover until they are old enough to roll over. If under the covers just dress her in the same amount of layers as you. At this age you could also sleep with her on your chest and prop yourself up with pillows a bit, in which case don't overdress as she will have your body heat. Make sure you keep pillows away from her. When baby was next to me above the cover I sort of slept cradling her with my body, you will find you are very aware of your baby even while asleep and will wake up when she stirs, its a deep protective instinct we have in us.

Do you not have a moses basket you can pop her into next to you if you are finding it difficult to co-sleep? Or a well padded box or bottom drawer will do!

Cosmosis Thu 09-Dec-10 21:19:33

sleeping bag on top of duvet here

malachysmum Thu 09-Dec-10 23:31:45

I think there is a link on the mumsnet chapter about sleep to the unesco site where they have diagrams.
I do babygrows and he's under the duvet, but we have the heating on all night. You may want to have a look at the book three in a bed but skip the first couple of chapters as she uses icky 1950s facts.

browny Thu 09-Dec-10 23:48:52

Hi, there's tonnes of information/help/advice about co-sleeping on www.naturalmamas.co.uk HTH

thumbplumpuddingwitch Fri 10-Dec-10 00:03:33

My Ds was born in December, granted not as cold as the current one but cold enough. He was in a sleepsuit and a baby blanket, the duvet was kept well away from him but I also use a sheet and a blanket (my duvet is more of an eiderdown) so he was under those with me. I found that he was a very hot baby though so dispensed with the baby blanket after a few days as he was heating up too much - he was just under the sheet and blanket next to me. This was enough for him; I had the duvet over me but folded so it couldn't go near him.
DH slept in the spare room - he couldn't cope with the interruptions and the space I needed for co-sleeping.

thumbplumpuddingwitch Fri 10-Dec-10 00:04:59

Oh yes - I always had my arm out above DS's head as well to prevent me rolling over (impossible to do without dislocating/breaking shoulder)

OnlyWantsOne Fri 10-Dec-10 12:53:29

fab night sleep

put DD in body suit and pj bottoms under quilt but she was fine temp wise, BF all night i think

had very empty boob this morning and one hugely full one!!

MrsPickles Fri 10-Dec-10 19:45:39

Brilliant that you've got lying down feeding going already! You might find soon you can feed off both boobs without turning overs, I just kind of squash my bottom boob to feed from the top one! Don't think I would have managed that at 6 days though, I still had to sit bolt upright with loads of cushions to get latch right with both DDs for weeks before I could manage it lying down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now