Talk

Advanced search

Is 4.5 hours naps a lot for a 4 month old?

(6 Posts)
BettyButterknife Wed 08-Dec-10 17:20:08

DS is 4 and a half months and has napped three times today:
9-11
1-3
and he's just gone down now, will wake him by 6 so another 30 mins, 45 mins max.

I had vaguely been following Gina Ford and he was having a total of about 3 hours absolute maximum, more likely 2 and a half, but have made a concerted effort today to get him napping for longer as his night sleep is pretty bad at the moment.

Will also put him to bed a little later tonight as a result - more like 7.30-7.45 whereas he's normally asleep an hour before then.

Would love some advice please as I feel I'm struggling a bit, even though this is DS2!

NapWhatNap Wed 08-Dec-10 17:46:14

Sounds like bliss to me!

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 08-Dec-10 17:48:14

Think you'll just have to see what his night time sleep is like! Better day time sleep does seem to lead to better night time sleep ime.

katiecubs Wed 08-Dec-10 18:25:38

very jelous! mum of a 40 minute (tops) napper here

BettyButterknife Wed 08-Dec-10 19:40:52

He's usually a crappy napper, we mainly get 30 minute stints but the silver lining is that he will go back (hence record-breaking naps today).

However, he does have all his naps in his pram with a blackout shade over the top, so when I hear him stir I go and stick the crack pipe dummy back in and rock the pram til he goes back off. Not ideal, but at least he's sleeping.

spidookly Wed 08-Dec-10 19:53:38

3 hours sounds more like what my 2 did around that age.

There is a limit to the "sleep begets sleep" thing, although I'm not sure what it is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: