Talk

Advanced search

Arrggghhhh, sleep training clock help please!!

(5 Posts)
CrazyChristmasLady Wed 08-Dec-10 09:51:17

DS (2.10) has always been as early riser and I am about to have DC 2. He was getting towards the 5.30 rather than 6am mark again so we bought a sleep trainer clock. We let him pick the one he liked and he understands the idea.

It is set for 6.15, he keeps waking up just before, coming out and wanting to come downstairs but telling us that his clock is still asleep so he knows that he shouldn't be out yet. Then he will ask for his light on so he can play. This isn't the idea and we have told him that he isn't to come out of his room until the clock wakes up, he does understand this as DH goes and puts him back in his room, then when the clock wakes up, he comes out excitedly to tell us, then he is allowed to get up.

Sometimes he will come out and tell us that he is up and will wait in his room (not that often, he usually just wants to come downstairs)! Arrgghhhh, we have told him that he isn't to wake us up for this (unless something is wrong etc).

When do they actually take notice and NOT come out of their room until the clock wakes up?

It is doing my head in, nearly 3 years of these stupidly early mornings and even if I go to bed, I still can't sleep before about 11pm. My friends sometimes complain that their DCs were up early, at 7!!!! I wish!!!!

CrazyChristmasLady Sat 11-Dec-10 19:46:54

Bump.

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 12-Dec-10 10:18:19

hi, I don't have an answer, sorry! But was thinking the same thing. I might start a new thread with a slightly different question and see if that gets any answers, I'll let you know.

I sympathise, dd went through a phase of early wakings and it wasn't fun. I also can't really go to bed early, I need time to wind down. Sorry I don't have any answers!

silverfrog Sun 12-Dec-10 10:22:38

If he understands the concept well, have you tried bribing him with somehting to do as he is supposed to?

we had a similar issue, and bribed dd2 with chocolate buttons to stay inside her bedroom until the rabbit woke up (she got 2 chocolate buttons after breakfast if all was well - one for staying inside her room at bedtime, one for staying inside her room in the morning)

this worked well for us - immediate tangible (valuable to her, you may need ot substitute whatever is hard currency for your ds grin) reward system.

CrazyChristmasLady Sun 12-Dec-10 12:12:26

Bribes Rewards could work well for us. grin

We had issues with poo when first potty training as DS was terrified and would only do it in his pants. We had a star chart with special stickers for poos and once he had a certain amount, he got a reward. We had to tell him what the reward was though (a car from the film Cars) as an incentive then stretched out how many stickers it was each time. First it was 3, then 5, then 8 then 16 and it was sorted out before we got to 5 but we kept it going so he wouldn't regress.

Was surprisingly easy. Maybe we'll have to give that a try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: