Talk

Advanced search

SIDS advice and putting baby in room with sibling?

(9 Posts)
stickersarecurrency Fri 03-Dec-10 18:32:50

She's 11 weeks and really twitchy and overtired by this time of night. I think she'd be happier if she was upstairs in the quiet, and I'm pondering trying to give her a bedtime. She's not one for just dozing off without rocking/feeding etc. So would it be safer to put her in DS's room than to put her in ours, so she can hear him breathing? I'm not keen on either but the other alternatives are her shrieking downstairs or me going to bed with her at 6pm!

stickersarecurrency Fri 03-Dec-10 21:49:35

bump

Rindercella Fri 03-Dec-10 21:50:38

Have you got a monitor you could use in your room?

stickersarecurrency Fri 03-Dec-10 21:54:53

Yes, not an apnoea monitor though, just a bog standard speaker.

Rindercella Fri 03-Dec-10 22:00:01

Sorry, I am very confused why you can't put your baby in his cot to sleep and leave him while he sleeps (obviously popping in to check on him/listen out for any stirring)?

Rindercella Fri 03-Dec-10 22:00:34

Sorry, she

stickersarecurrency Fri 03-Dec-10 22:02:08

Because current advice is that they should not sleep alone in a room.

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 03-Dec-10 22:05:32

They don't know exactly what mechanism it is that makes SIDS more likely if a baby sleeps alone, I think hearing someone else breathe is just a theory.

Sharing a bedroom with a sibling with you checking/listening to a monitor is probably the safest bet.

I only have one baby, and he started going to bed on his own at about 8 weeks with us joining him a couple of hours later.

stickersarecurrency Fri 03-Dec-10 22:07:15

It's kind of new to me cos DS had screaming mad colic until 5 and a half months so bedtimes weren't a consideration until much later x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: