Talk

Advanced search

Tackling inconsistent night time wakings

(2 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Wed 01-Dec-10 11:20:18

DS2 is nearly 9 months and has never been a good sleeper. We've managed to eradicate the 10pm feeding, by DH going in to settle him. After a few nights, he now doesn't wake at this time. However, he still wakes between 2 and 3 times a night, and is particularly 'wakeful' from 4am. If I could put any 'predictions' on it, he tends to wake at midnight - 2 and then 3-4 (when it takes an hour to get him back to sleep).

I'm so absolutely drained of doing this for 9 months and against all of my principles, am considering CC. I really shouted at DS1 yesterday, and I feel so bad that he is getting the worst of me. It is also affecting DH at work, as he is quite a light sleeper, although it's me that goes into DS2.

The night before last, DS2 slept from 7pm (he always go down well) until 4.45am. Brilliant and the longest stretch by far. But then last night, he was awake 2-3 times again. I'm desperately trying to understand this inconsistency, but failing - is it food? Overtired? Been out or not in the day? Etc etc.

Are inconsistent sleeping patterns normal?

I'm tempted to try cuddling him back to sleep (through the crying) until say 3am, then each week, moving it back an hour. So that we try to eradicate night feeds.

Sorry for garbled typing. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received! Thanks for reading

sheeplikessleep Wed 01-Dec-10 11:22:18

When I say 'midnight - 2 and then 3-4', he isn't awake that whole time. Just that he tends to wake within those two (or sometimes more) 'windows'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: