Talk

Advanced search

Why do I feel worse when I get more sleep?

(3 Posts)
Iwasthefourthwiseman Wed 01-Dec-10 09:51:20

I'm an 8 hours a night kinda gal. If I get less I get tired and crabby, and am prone to headaches.

When I was pg I had really bad insomnia through to the point where I was off sick from work a few times, had my hours reduced and was prescribed sleeping tablets twice.

I now have a 10 week old baby. For the first 5 weeks she was waking 2-4 hours a night, now she usually, barring a few incidences sleeps about 7.5 hours. By the time I have put her down after waiting for her to get into a deep sleep, got ready and got to sleep myself I'm getting about 6.5 hours. The problem is that is just not enough to sustain me, but just a little bit too much that I can't get back to sleep, plus I don't often get the opportunity as I have to be up with DD1.

But occasionally I do go back to sleep. Today she woke early after only 6 hours, at 6am, so after I'd fed her I managed to get back off and woken up at 9am, yet I felt even worse. I often feel worse when I get a better night's sleep. I've basically got about 11 months of sleep derivation to catch up on, yet the more I sleep the worse I feel. When will I feel normal again? I am so sick of being tired.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Wed 01-Dec-10 19:30:08

Bump

ToysRLuv Wed 01-Dec-10 21:17:11

I'm not completely sure about the mechanics of this, but I think that when you have very little sleep survival mechanisms kick in (surges of adrenalin and cortisol I would guess) keeping you going on a "high". However, when you get a bit more sleep you will not get this high, and yet are still sleep deprived. Tough, I know. I have had about 14 months of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: