Talk

Advanced search

Baby won't sleep in her own bed

(4 Posts)
littlemisstax Wed 01-Dec-10 09:01:39

I'm hoping that some of you more experienced mums can help.

My five week old daughter won't sleep in her own bed at night. She has a travel cot downstairs which she will nap in during the day and she will also sleep on me or DH.

At night she won't sleep in her crib. It's at the foot of our bed, and she knows she's not alone in the room. It's not too hot or cold for her, but she just won't sleep there. We've tried music and soothing lights, but they don't seem to work.

The only thing that calms her and gets her to sleep is coming into our bed with us. We've tried putting her into her crib once she's asleep, but she normally wakes up.

Is there anything else we should be trying to get her to sleep in her crib or is she just too young?

thehumanpacifier Fri 03-Dec-10 21:10:02

Hi, no real advice I am afraid, but just to say that it is completley normal for her to want to sleep close to you, after being tucked up inside you for so long! My DS (now 7 months) was the same, but wouldn't nap anywhere but on me either, so well done for that!

We decided early on to co-sleep which meant we all got the rest we needed. Other things people suggested to me, that may work for you (but unfortunately didn't for us): bringing the crib to your side so she can see you, also swaddling works for many, as they get the feeling they are being cuddled.

I can tell you it does get a lot easier, they change all the time, enjoy your LO, they grow so fast [smile}

thehumanpacifier Fri 03-Dec-10 21:11:40

oops - feeding baby in my arm! smile

RuByMaMa Fri 03-Dec-10 21:58:04

Hi

We ended doing the same as pacifier as it really was the only way we could all get some sleep. Those first few months it really is a case of doing what it takes to survive! I really enjoyed co-sleeping for those first few months and, when you think about it, it's actually perfectly natural... Why should you're little one suddenly be expected to cope on their own when they go to sleep after being snug and warm inside you for the last 9 months!?!

I think it's important for you all as a family to work out what can work for you and to listen to what you're daughter wants/needs (after all, at that age it's the same thing). I'll be honest, there were nights it was really tough and we wished we had a spare bed that my husband or I could go into, but nothing else worked for us. We adjusted her cot so it could be pushed right up against my side of the bed with the side down (you can get actual co-sleepers but seeing as we'd already bought the cot we didn't want to fork out on another one!) and we stretched a sheet across her mattress and ours so there were no gaps. By 5 months our DD needed more space as she became really restless next to me. We moved her cot away from the bed and put the side back up. At 6 months we moved her into her own room and from about 7 and a half months she has been sleeping through grin

The best advice I got is to really listen to your baby's wants because wants and needs are the same thing at that age (if that makes sense?). It is really tough the first few weeks and months and do whatever feels right for all of you as a family to survive and if it means co-sleeping for a while then just do it (and if you think you'll get disapproving looks from others, just don't tell them!).

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now