Talk

Advanced search

reluctant co-sleeper, please advise and reassure!

(6 Posts)
ExistentialistCat Tue 30-Nov-10 10:13:45

DD2, 10 weeks old and EBF, is turning me into a co-sleeper even though I don't really want to...

Here's the usual pattern at the moment: She falls asleep in the sling on me by about 8 pm. We decant her into er crib via a feed and she sleeps there for a few hours before the next feed. Then she just won't go back into the crib and I end up sleeping with her in my arms.

My reservations about this are twofold: First, it's not that safe - duvet, could fall out of bed etc. And secondly, I don't want to be sharing our bed with her for months or possibly years.

So tell me: Would one of those co-sleeping nests or bedside cribs/cots help, or is that unlikely since she wants actual physical contact with me?

And am I setting myself up for having a co-sleeping 7 year-old?!

Would one of those

ExistentialistCat Tue 30-Nov-10 10:14:49

PS I added the bit about EBF because DD1 was FF and sleeping on her own by 10 weeks. My HV, also a BF counsellor, tells me that bfing partly drives the need to co-sleep because of hormones and milk production... Other people's experiences, please?

LadyBiscuit Tue 30-Nov-10 10:21:38

I know plenty of people who co-slept until about 6 months or so and then put the baby in their own room so no, I don't think you're setting yourself up.

But if you co-sleep, you need to do it safely - she needs to be on top of the duvet, no pillow and between you and the wall or your partner. Personally I really liked it - made night feeds so much easier. If you're only planning on doing it for a short while, I wouldn't bother buying a bedside cot if you have a regular one already but I suppose if you're planning on several more children it may be worth it!

PaulineMole Tue 30-Nov-10 10:49:32

I am also co-sleeping out of necessity.
DD2 is 5 weeks and EBF. She will only sleep on me, oddly apart from between 8-11pm, and 11-2am. All other naps/sleeps must be taken on a nice warm person.

We swaddle her, then pop her on top of the duvet. I have a blanket to wrap around my shoulders. She wakes every 2-3 hours, and this is currently the only way I can manage the wakings and still have just about enough energy left to see to DD1 (3).

I have no idea whether this will spell trouble for the future <head in sand> hmm .

aliceinlalaland Tue 30-Nov-10 13:52:07

I did this in the v early days with DD2 and it just phased out naturally. Going into her moses basket for longer stretches at a time. Now (at 9months) she's not in the slightest bit interested in co-sleeping - and i'd happily give it another go if it meant getting a bit more sleep (she's going through a bit of regression). But honestly I think in those very early days you don't need to worry too much about setting yourself up (never thought I'd say that but I'm sure it's true). Whatever works best for you now I say.

FrameyMcFrame Tue 30-Nov-10 14:06:54

Wear a cardi to bed, then you wont pull the duvet up over yourself and the baby in your sleep.
You can take the side off a normal cot and bolt it to your bed. There used to be a photo on someones profile on MN that showed you how it was done.
I have co slept on and off for nearly 10 years and I always put the baby in the middle between me and DP. then you know they can't fall out. I think it's fine as long as you haven't been drinking or smoking. If both adults are dressed warmly for be then there is less likelihood of pulling duvet up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now