Talk

Advanced search

new baby sleeping only on someone's chest - pls help

(5 Posts)
sleepihead Sat 27-Nov-10 19:46:20

pls help! I have a 17 day old who would not sleep anywhere but in my arms or on my chest at night. With all the talk about cot death and bed sharing, what can I do to get her to sleep lying down on a flat surface, even if it not her own cot?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 27-Nov-10 19:50:02

Have you tried making a nest/ring of blankets around her? Roll a cellular blanket up and make a ring, it's makes them feel enclosed.

But tbh, it's quite normal for newborns to want to be close to you.

Also, rather than reading the scare stories, read the actual facts about co-sleeping and how to do it safely. You may change your opinion on it.

Good luck smile

Oh, and congratulations on your dd smile

Rosa Sat 27-Nov-10 19:50:03

Try making sure her cot is warm before you put her in it - maybe a grain bag or hot watter bottle ( take it out when you put her in.) Place a muslin or item that smells of you on teh mattress so she has your scent.
Some people hate cot bumpers however I found them a godsend after the moses basket as it was too open for both dds. Try swaddling as well....Good luck

nickypomtimes Sat 27-Nov-10 19:51:11

congrats on baby!

it is quite common for them at this age.

also see here

cheesebaby Sat 27-Nov-10 20:17:13

Sleeping in your arms or on your chest is quite different from sleeping on her front, alone in a cot. So long as you don't:

Smoke at all
Co-sleep pissed
Take drugs or other medications which effect awareness

evidence shows that the risk of SIDS while co-sleeping is no greater than when putting her in a cot. If you breastfeed the risk is further reduced.

Be careful to follow safe co-sleeping guidelines, and if you're especially tired, your baby was premature/born small, or you formula feed you might prefer to set up a bed-side cot rather than bed-share.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: