Talk

Advanced search

Can they sleep on their front on your chest? (SIDS)

(7 Posts)
moonstorm Thu 25-Nov-10 20:46:09

Ds (5 weeks) will only sleep when lying on me - he won't go in his crib 90% time - one 2 hour stretch per night. I tried putting him next to me, but he prefers to be held, so cries and tends to role towards me - I would prefer him to stay where I knew where he was...

Last night he slept for 6 hours - on my chest (I woke him as my boobs were about to explode!!). Do you think this is ok? I can't find anything on the website. Tempted to do it again - it's better than me falling asleep by mistake with him in my arms... I breast feed by the way if this makes any difference...

Thanks

RolsGirl Thu 25-Nov-10 20:52:05

this is fine don't worry. Just keep trying to put him in the crib. When my DS was tiny it worried me a bit because I was worried I'd crush him. But I never did. Just keep perservering with the crib, but if he really won't settle then it's lovely to sleep this way. My DS is 8 months now and was sleeping in his cot for most of the night from about 3-5 months. But since then he's been teething and will only stay in the cot from 7-10, then comes out for a breast feed and just goes to sleep on my chest. Then after a while I roll him off next to me. I love cherishing this time with him- he's already so big I know this time next year he won't be sleeping on my chest so I'm enjoying it while I can! don't let people be all judgy on you about it.

BookcaseFullofBooks Thu 25-Nov-10 20:59:51

My DD was exactly the same. I made sure she wasn't covered with my duvet as it's quite a thick one. We popped her in her bed first most nights so she became familiar with it but she usually wanted to be close to her milk supply!

HaveToWearHeels Thu 25-Nov-10 21:07:16

I think it is fine my DD was exactley the same, just wanted to be on me. She started sleeping in her cot at about 10 weeks, but continued to nap on me until she was about 8 months. She still sleeps on her tummy now at 14 months.

becknnico Sat 27-Nov-10 16:03:12

Same here.Ds slept on my chest for the first 3 months actually. I believe it actually lowers the sids risk when they sleep on you since this in fact regulates their breathing and heart rates! The position they sleep can be an issue when they are alone in their crib but sounds like your just fine, plus easy bf access

hillyhilly Sat 27-Nov-10 16:08:37

I did the same from 3 to about 11 weeks and still remember it so fondly. My DD had colic and it meant the difference between sleep or no sleep. I also believe that it helped her gain weight which she was very slow to do to start with as she could smell the milk!!
At 10 weeks she went into her basket and with a week or so of that started to "sleep through" (from a dream feed at 11 to 5 or 6)
If you are doing it intentionally you can make sure you can't roll onto her (I was propped up in a v shaped cushion)
Enjoy it - the memory of it may help when she becomes a monster toddler/ teenager!

ib Sat 27-Nov-10 16:17:07

I did this with ds1 for almost 6 months, and worried about the same.

Someone asked the question on the webchat with a sleep expert a few months ago on here and she said it was fine, which made me feel a whole lot better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: