Talk

Advanced search

Very sleepy baby - normal?

(7 Posts)
KN1979 Thu 25-Nov-10 13:05:44

My 9 week old has always been very sleepy and I'm just not sure it's completely normal. He is fine when he's awake, very alert and chatty, but he rarely stays awake more than an hour and a half and he easily naps for 3 hours or more at a time unless I wake him. I thought by now he would be awake for at least a couple of hours at a time and not sleeping much more than a few hours a day? His enormous naps don't affect his night time sleep either. He's EBF so still wakes up once in the night but goes back to sleep easily afterwards. Should I just be grateful?! Thanks for any advice.

KN1979 Thu 25-Nov-10 13:12:39

A bit more info... today he woke at 6.45, went back to sleep at 8.15, woke at 9, went back to sleep at 10.40 and is still asleep now. I've been trying to rouse him gently but he's happily ignoring me. I feel guilty trying to wake him!

NapWhatNap Fri 26-Nov-10 09:07:55

Sounds great to me. You'll probably be kicking yourself for worrying in a few weeks time when he really wakes up! Enjoy it.

PaulineMole Fri 26-Nov-10 09:10:03

if he's gaining weight, good number of wet+dirty nappies, and looks well, then you might just be one of the lucky ones.

envy

Falsley Fri 26-Nov-10 10:17:44

Sounds like you have a similar baby to mine, she is also nine weeks old and rarely awake for more than an hour to and hour and a half. I'm going with Paulines advise, she is gaining weight and seems to be healthy so I'm not worrying too much.

MamaChris Fri 26-Nov-10 10:36:30

ds1 was forever awake. it was awful. dt1 can't stay awake more than 1 hour (8 weeks now), but only sleeps for 2 hours between waking. one extreme to the other, with dt1 somewhere in between. I think if alert when awake, growing well etc, then you're probably just lucky. am envy that he only wakes once at night.

KN1979 Fri 26-Nov-10 13:36:16

Thanks everyone. He is gaining weight (in fact he's enormous) & seems happy when awake so I won't worry any more. Ridiculous that even when we should be rejoicing in our good fortune we find something to fret about blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now