Talk

Advanced search

Should 2.5 year olds still be having naps?

(11 Posts)
poshsinglemum Wed 24-Nov-10 17:17:28

I hear controversial advice about this. DD sometimes has a nap but often dosn't. If she dosn't have a nap she goes to bed earlier (about 5pm today) but sometimes wakes up later to play.

Should I put her down at 1.30ish after dinner to nap consistently? I lead a busy life so we are not always near a cot at this time. childminder said she wouldn'/t settle after lunch.

solo Wed 24-Nov-10 17:20:14

I'd say yes, but go with your Dd and what she needs to do. They soon stop when they don't need to anymore.

Indith Wed 24-Nov-10 17:22:38

Up to you and your dd, there are no rules. My ds still had naps on a regular basis until well past the age of 3, he could easily sleep for 3 hours in the afternoon it was great! My almost 2 year old dd sometimes sleeps for a little bit, sometimes refuses to.

booyhoo Wed 24-Nov-10 17:23:34

she should if she needs one. she shouldn't if she doesn't/ simple as that. don't let anyone else tell you what your dd needs.

PrematureEjoculation Wed 24-Nov-10 17:24:09

yes yes yes!

Spatz Wed 24-Nov-10 17:25:41

agree with booyhoo - my two would have carried on having naps in reception if it had been possible - up to age 5. Lots of kids don't have regular naps at all. Do what suits you and your timetables.

I think 44yr olds should still be having naps, though grin

lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 24-Nov-10 17:33:46

As a nanny I try and work with what the child needs.

In my last position I would still try and give my charge (2.11 months( a nap after lunch so anytime between 12 and 1.30ish, however it wasn't hard and fast, if we were out, he wouldn't have one - or may have one on the way home so about 4pm ish - If I was at home I would put him in his room and he would happily go to sleep. I would always wake him up at 3pm regardless of how long he had some days it could be 3 hours if we'd had an early lunch or some days 15 minutes if he'd flaked out whilst on the way home from toddlers. He would then sleep 12 hours at night - 7-7

In my current position I have a 2.11 year old boy again and try and give him a nap each day again he falls straight to sleep in his bed so isn't battling it. He is more than happy to go and have a nap in the morning sometime if his sibling is also having a nap and will often fall asleep just after lunch on the couch if I'm busy tidying up so will continue to do nap times as long as possible.

When children do drop their naps or I am told to limit them I still do quiet time with them ie books on the sofa or listening to cd's in the bedroom on their own.

How is dc sleeping at night?

sheeplikessleep Wed 24-Nov-10 17:38:08

DS is 3.1 and up to 3 days ago, was still having naps - about 1.5 - 2 hours each day.

BUT, he was waking at 5am, so in the last couple of days, we've stopped his daytime nap and he is sleeping until 6.30am in the morning.

Totally totally depends on the child. If they still sleep fine at night and sleep for their daytime naps, then keep with it, they obviously need it.

booyhoo Wed 24-Nov-10 17:52:23

<whispers> sometimes i still have naps and i am 3 (+21 grin)

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 24-Nov-10 17:57:04

DS is 2.4 and still has a nap every afternoon for 2 hours, as well as sleeping a very reliable 12 hours at night.

If it isn't disturbing nighttime sleep then I think they still need it.

Orissiah Fri 26-Nov-10 10:03:55

When my DD, now 2.5 yrs, was dropping her nap the CM and I would still put her down after lunch. She would soon let us know whether she was going to sleep or not. If not then we insisted on "quiet time" on the sofa with books or CBeebies - no charging around. Now she no longer naps, "quiet time" is her hour of recharging after lunch and she really likes the concepts. She's out like a light at bedtime (between 7 and 7.30pm).

So my advice is to still put her down for a nap but don't force her to sleep. If she doesn't sleep introduce "quiet time". I would try not to let her sleep at 5pm on the days she doesn't sleep - try and keep her up no matter how tough it may be (distracting activity? quiet time? go out for a walk?). Try and keep her up to bedtime eg 7pm otherwise if you put her to bed at 5pm she may see it as a nap and wake up an hour or two later.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: