Talk

Advanced search

What tog duvet would you use for a 3 year old

(15 Posts)
bumbly Sun 21-Nov-10 19:58:33

sleeps in normal single bed

tog 4.5 too much for winter?

Blatherskite Sun 21-Nov-10 21:14:48

My 3.5 year old DS has a 4.5 tog duvet on his single bed. It seems just right.

I've never found one lighter and sheets and blankets just don't see quite enough.

Rockbird Sun 21-Nov-10 21:30:24

Was looking at this yesterday. John Lewis say between 4 and 9 tog for that age upwards.

Mumcah Sun 21-Nov-10 21:36:53

I have just bought a 4.5 tog for my 3yo.feels far too thin for my liking but she seems to be warm enough.

I chose 4.5 cos of Mumsnetter advice.

Blatherskite Sun 21-Nov-10 21:38:23

If you're getting it from John Lewis, my advice is don't get the anti allergy one - it feels really rough. The normal ones are much softer and can be washed in a domestic eashing machine at 60 to kill dust mites.

oooggs Sun 21-Nov-10 21:39:17

this is interesting - what tog duvets do you have on your own beds?

Waswondering Sun 21-Nov-10 21:39:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jellycat Sun 21-Nov-10 21:42:52

We have 4.5 tog for both our boys (and have done since they went into normal beds aged between 2 and 3). I bought 2 each so they could be doubled up in winter if necessary, but they never want it. They have a fleece blanket they can pull over the duvet if they get cold.

I find it a bit odd because we have a 9 tog one for winter. I changed ours from the 4.5 tog summer one a few weeks ago because botyh of us were getting cold at night, but the boys seem fine.

Jojay Sun 21-Nov-10 21:44:06

DS2 had a 4.5 tog summer duvet until a few weeks ago when it was frosty. He woke in the night saying he was cold, so now he has a 10.5 (I think) tog one.

He seems fine but he can get warm in the early evenings when he's asleep but the heating is still on.

I usually go in once he's dropped off and peel his covers back a bit, then tuck him in again when I go to bed.

PigeonPie Sun 21-Nov-10 21:51:34

My DSs have their 4.5tog ones on their beds at the moment, but am thinking of changing to their winter ones (9.5tog I think) shortly.

Blatherskite Sun 21-Nov-10 21:56:15

oooggs - DH and I have one of those all season duvets where you get a 4.5 tog duvet and a 10.5 tog duvet and you can clip them together in the wonter to form a 15 tog duvet.

Not once have we ever used the 10.5 tog half never mind clipped them together!!!

On the very rare occasion we get cold, I throw a blanket over the top. It's only ever for a night or two so I can never be bothered to swap the duvet.

I get very warm when I'm asleep blush

MegBusset Sun 21-Nov-10 21:56:22

Have just got DS1 (3.9) a 10-tog single duvet, as he was waking up in the night cold, never hear a peep from him now.

oooggs Mon 22-Nov-10 22:23:15

blatherskite - I only asked cos I get very cold at night!!!! We sleep on the ground floor and have a 12 tog duvet, electric blanket (my side only) and I wear winter pjs all year round blush

the children (6yrs, 3yrs & 3yrs)(whose rooms are normal temperatures) are currently using 10 tog duvets (ds3 (22 mths) is in a gro bag) and are all fine. They use 4 togs in spring/summer and ds2 goes down to just the duvet cover (with no duvet) in the high summer

How we are all so different!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 22-Nov-10 22:28:49

Our ds's have 4.5 tog in the summer and when it's a bit warmer and 7 (or 7.5 - can't remember) in the colder times and winter (spring/autumn can be a bit hit and miss!)

We've got a duvet that is in halves so my side is 13.5 tog and DH has 10 tog for the winter. I think our summer duvet is 4.5 tog.

Blatherskite Tue 23-Nov-10 07:53:19

oooggs - DH says sleeping with me is like having his very own human hot water bottle

I used to worry that I wasn't wrapping the children up warm enough because I was such a warm sleeper so didn't feel the old but DS is often to be found out from under his duvet and laying across the bed when I go to check on him at night so he must be warm enough.

SIL sleeps with an all season duvet, thick pjs and bed socks on in the winter! I would boil!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: