Talk

Advanced search

Settle and leave method for 11wo's daytime naps?

(7 Posts)
marzipananimal Fri 19-Nov-10 15:09:03

I'm having real trouble getting ds (11 weeks) to sleep during the day, although he generally sleeps well at night. The only way I can get him to sleep is to take him out in the pram, and he sometimes wakes as soon as we get home. He also sometimes falls asleep on my lap while feeding but won't usually stay asleep there for long and definitely can't be moved. He keeps getting overtired and cranky and I'm finding it exhausting and stressful.

I've tried leaving him in his cot crying (not screaming) a couple of times but he's still been crying after 10 minutes and I don't want to leave him any longer. What can I do??!!!

leeloo1 Fri 19-Nov-10 15:21:48

Not much advice, but your DS is very, very young still, so may well not be in a good nap routine for a while yet.

I think my DS was at least 6-7 months before he had a good routine. Before that he had odd 30 min catnaps during the day, usually when out, sometimes after feeds. It should get better, but don't stress - if he's sleeping well at night then you're doing something right!

vez123 Fri 19-Nov-10 15:57:53

How about using shh/pat? In the darkened nursery hold him close to you on your arm/shoulder and pat his back whilst doing shh shh until he is drowsy. Then put him in the cot to see him drift off. I started this with my DS at 4 months. This way you do not leave him to himself and you're with him all the way.
Don't expect it to work straight away. When we used this technique for the first time I think it took 20-30 minutes or longer, cannot remember exactly. The important thing is that the baby goes into the cot awake so that when he wakes up he is not shocked to be no longer on Mummy's arm.

marzipananimal Fri 19-Nov-10 16:35:50

thanks vez I'll give it a go.
Another thing is that he always cries on waking from a daytime nap but never at night confused

vez123 Fri 19-Nov-10 16:53:35

Is this when you put him down already asleep?
When my DS falls asleep by himself in the cot after I shushed and patted him on my arm he can usually sleep for longer periods and would wake up happy. If I put him down already asleep he often wakes up after the first sleep cycle (around 40 minutes) and cannot resettle because I am not there. So key is to put him down slightly awake (but ready to drift off). But your baby is still very young and I have also found that time and consistency helps with daytime naps (he is nearly 6 months now).

marzipananimal Fri 19-Nov-10 17:18:09

He falls asleep in the pram with me pushing it and then wakes up stationary with me not there so I suppose that's probably why he cries.

Any thoughts on how long naps should be? Like if he wakes after 15 mins should I try and get him back to sleep or just accept that the nap is over?
So many questions! This parenting thing can be quite tricky!

vez123 Fri 19-Nov-10 19:02:47

15 minutes sound short to me, I would try and resettle if possible.
Also one thing I never realised was that they can only really stay awake for 2-3 hours max and should then take a nap. Some babies even less. When he was younger my DS would on some days go half a day without sleep and was then in meltdown.. So look out for tiredness signs like yawning and eyes rubbing, crying and then try and put him down.
At 11 weeks I also carried him in the sling a lot, he used to sleep in there for hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: