Talk

Advanced search

my baby turns around and refuses to sleep when he's on his belly

(7 Posts)
ELIEMAR Thu 18-Nov-10 21:08:56

My son started to sleep for 10 to 12 hours at night as early as 10 weeks old, from one day to the next, without us changing anything.
Since he's found out how to turn on his belly and back again, when I put him in his cot, he turns, ends up on his belly and cries. This is new and I don't know what to do.

Most of my friends' babies would sleep whether they end up on their back or their belly but mine won't fall asleep on his bell. This seems to be very frustrating for him and also messes up the whole 'going to bed routine'.

I tried to help by using a sleeping bag thinking he wouldn't turn as easily, but I was wrong... he turns so much that the thing ends up twirled up around his legs, which he hates.
I also tried one night to put him in his crib and he fell asleep straigth away; but he cannot sleep in this forever, he's getting to big.

I would either like to explain to him that if he turns, it is ok for him to turn his head and sleep on his belly... Or that when he stops playing and it's time to sleep, he shouldn't turn.

Would anyone have a suggestion for me please?
Thank you.

Shallishanti Thu 18-Nov-10 21:18:51

how old is he?

ELIEMAR Thu 18-Nov-10 21:29:28

Hi,
He is nearly 8 months old.

Shallishanti Thu 18-Nov-10 21:50:02

No point explaining anything to him, then.
So are you saying he rolls onto his belly and then can't roll back again?
If it was me I'd stick to the usual routine and let him find his own favourite position, making sure he can't get tangled up under covers.

DancingThroughLife Thu 18-Nov-10 21:59:12

DD (5.5mo) has just started doing this, this week in fact. I don't know what to suggest. Can he roll from his front to his back? DD can't, so she can't rescue herself when she gets on her front. I'm hoping that if it's annoying her enough, she'll soon learn how to fix it and start rolling back again.

Sorry to not be more helpful. I feel your pain.

ELIEMAR Thu 18-Nov-10 22:08:49

He can roll back from its front to his back, but with us he seems to get a bit lazy or maybe he just wants us to make the effort.
I've heard 8mo is a time when they start testing you a bit more so that might be it but it sounds a bit too complicated. I think that if they're annoyed, they're annoyed, they're not always trying to manipulate us, aren't they!
I mentioned the issue to the childminder who said didn't have that problem at all. He would play in his cot on his back or on his belly without complaining and then fall asleep. But with us it always ends up in tears.
I would like to help him but I don't know if I should turn him every time or as advised by Shallishanti just let him find his position on his own.
I will try both over time and let you know!
THANK YOU!

Shallishanti Fri 19-Nov-10 18:48:02

he would probably rather play with you than go to sleep- that's not manipulating you, just expressing a preference! Be more boring!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: