Talk

Advanced search

Sleep training - I need advices!!

(5 Posts)
GuernseyFrench Thu 18-Nov-10 18:44:56

DS is 9 months old and his sleep routine is as follow:

Goes to bed at 6.15 - 6.30pm. He gets his last bottle while lying down then I give him his dummy, he holds my fingers and it will take anything between 5 to 30mn for him to fall asleep. Then he will wake up either none or once to 3 times during the night. The waking up are due to him losing the dummy. It'll take again between 5 to 30mn to resettle him while he again holds my hand. He normally wakes up at 5.30 or 6am to start the day.

I am aiming to do sleep training next week as I have some days off work. What I want to do is to give up the dummy and have him not to use me as a human soother. I guess the best way is going to be CC. I'm ready for it confused

My questions are:
- Will it be better to give him his bottle not in his cot and to pt him down after and leave him?
- When doing CC, do you just leave your LO to it or do you go and check on them? My worry is that if DS sees me, he'll get more worked up. (DH is working nights next week, so no help on this side)
- If not using the dummy at night time, how difficult will daytime be if either using or not? DS is still a very suckly baby?

Many thanks for your help/ advices smile

LittlebearH Thu 18-Nov-10 19:50:46

<waves>

I give DD the bottle in my arms in the nursery with only the nightlight on. Nice cuddle and whisper sleepy time soon and do a shocking rendition of twinkle twinkle little star!!

I put her down and stroke her hair and say sleepy time and give her a kiss.

DD is very sucky (had a dummy before leaving hosp, on midwife's advice)
I give her the dummy and it falls out when crying but have 3 in there on dummy clips for her to find. Not affected day time at all. Easier than I thought.

I went in every 5 mins..10 mins if she was quieting down. She did get a little worked up again but got better very quick. Every single time DP and I say SHH SHH Sleepytime Isla

Just be prepared in case he is sick.
I changed DD,bed and just started again. She did it only for two nights.

1st night cried for an hour every wake up. Get lots of coffee/mags/tv in bed whatever. You maybe shattered next day too. So may he.

2nd night similar but not quite as bad.

By 4th night was 20 mins and less wake ups.

Hope this is useful.

GuernseyFrench Thu 18-Nov-10 20:03:44

Thanks Little bear

LittlebearH Thu 18-Nov-10 20:23:27

No problem! Also, have a notebook and write down every time you go in and what time he falls asleep etc. Then you can look at progress.

Your DS is the same as DD, she was using me and DP hand holding/headstroking as a comfort. Bloody back ache leaning over the cot for up to 45 mins sometimes at 3am urgh!

Just keep the end goal in sight. If you crack..it is game over!! That is what I kept telling myself. And turn the volume down a bit on the monitor.

Good luck..x

mousymouse Thu 18-Nov-10 20:27:00

I would give bottle in arms and then brush teeth. sing a lullaby and put him down. pat his back or tummy for a min or so, leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now