Talk

Advanced search

Baby Sweats

(7 Posts)
emilyanorak Wed 17-Nov-10 18:20:13

hello, I have a 12 day old little boy and when I have been waking him in the night his back has been damp from sweating. Our bedroom is 18 at night and we only put one sheet and a blanket on him, across the chest. He;s wearing a vest and baby grow.

He's currently sleeping in a basket which has a plastic coated mattress (from Mothercare) with a sheet on. I'm wondering if this is making it worse?

has anybody else had this problem?

rubyslippers Wed 17-Nov-10 18:25:02

Those plastic mattresses do make babies sweat IME

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 17-Nov-10 18:29:41

I should think it is making him sweat as from your description it doesn't sound like he's overdressed.

If you can afford a breathable mattress then get one, if not, maybe putting multiple cotton sheets over the mattress may help?

Also, some babies are just hotter than others.

InmaculadaConcepcion Wed 17-Nov-10 19:31:49

My DD always sweated if she slept on impermeable surfaces too close to her body. It stopped once she started sleeping on a washable cot mattress with a cotton sheet. Very cheap from IKEA...!

goandshowdaddy Thu 18-Nov-10 18:01:27

Are you sure it's sweat? I only ask as I thought my DS1 had this but then was told by the HV that it was probably wee - his nappies had been leaking as I didn't know to point his willy down in his nappy!

Apologies if this sounds patronising - just I made the mistake and I'm sure others have too!

Having said all this, my DS2 (9 weeks) does seem to get a very hot back in his basket and he's got a plastic mattress like the one you describe so maybe I need to look at that too!
smile

narmada Fri 19-Nov-10 21:42:48

Defo get rid of the plastic mattress. I would put money on it being that making him sweat. My DD slept in a cot like that once on holiday and it made her sweat like nobody's business.

emilyanorak Sat 20-Nov-10 20:44:59

Thanks, we're going to change the mattress and see how we get along.

also started to check his willy is pointing down when we change the nappy. good tip.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: