Talk

Advanced search

Baby waking from wind will using wedge prop under mattress help?

(12 Posts)
mousesma Sun 14-Nov-10 12:52:22

My DD 18 weeks suffers from terrible wind in the night which wakes her up.
I am considering getting a wedge shaped support pillow to go under her crib mattress to prop her up while she sleeps (like this).

Does anyone have any experience of using these to help with wind? Did it help and are they safe?

moonstorm Sun 14-Nov-10 14:10:38

I wastold to do nothing to alter the mattress. Put blocks/ books under two of the cot legs to raise the head end off the ground. hth

ginger2000 Sun 14-Nov-10 15:53:43

interesting mousesma - my dd2 (7weeks) also has dreadful wind which wakes her up and we have half hour of grumbling/screaming until she goes to the loo or gets rid of it!

who gave you the advice about the wedge? Just wondering what the thougt behind it was?

JiggeryPoverty Sun 14-Nov-10 15:56:46

i have never heard of propping a baby up to help wind - that's a new one on me. Can help with coughs and colds, but how can it help wind?

mousesma Sun 14-Nov-10 19:32:29

I hoped it would help with wind in the same way that you are adviced to feed babies as upright as possible and to keep upright for at least 20 minutes after feeding if they suffer from wind.

To be honest I don't know if it would work or not. I'm just working on the principle that laying DD flat on her back after feeding seems to make wind worse so keeping her propped up might make the wind better.

ginger no one has advised me about the wedge and I may well be completely barking up the wrong tree hence the question. However DD has woken every hour from 1am onwards because of trapped wind for the last month and at this point I am up for trying anything to help relieve this.

OmicronPersei8 Sun 14-Nov-10 19:41:07

I posted the other day about taking DD to see a cranial osteopath which seemed to really help with early morning grunting/wind. It might be worth a try.

BaggedandTagged Mon 15-Nov-10 01:01:40

The wedge is usually advised for refluxy babies as it means that gravity helps them out and keeps the milk down. A bit like when you get heartburn in pregnancy it helps if you have more pillows.

Not sure about whether it works for wind- have you tried Infacol?- opinions are mixed and it takes a week or so to work but it means that they do massive burps after feeding and get it all up. I swear by it.

BaggedandTagged Mon 15-Nov-10 01:03:44

ps- do you wind her "properly" after night feeds? I know some people dont as it wakes them up too much but I found it the lesser of the 2 evils to sleeping next to DS making wildebeest noises all night.

KeepItSecret Mon 15-Nov-10 01:48:47

Excuse me for being unsure - but we're talking wind from the bottom end right?

We encourage the wind from our little one to escape by gently pushing his knees towards his chest and wiggling them in circles (got it from Yoga..).

He doesn't wake up, but lets rip a couple of times and stops his figetting

KeepItSecret Mon 15-Nov-10 01:49:49

Ah, no, now I re-read, it's the top end...

Haven't found the solution for that one.

mousesma Mon 15-Nov-10 12:04:29

Bagged she has been on infacol for every feed since 1 week old and is now 18 weeks. It does help and she has definitely become even more windy when we have stopped it.

KeepItSecret it's actually from both ends We also do the push her legs up move and it does release some great big farts but she always manages to produce more.

Bagged I suspect you may be correct re: winding. We've been co-sleeping and I don't think feeding lying down while napping is doing her or me any favours. Might have to return to doing night feeds sitting up then I will be awake enough to thoroughly wind her before putting her back down.

Seems like wedge is a non-starter then.

schroedingersdodo Tue 16-Nov-10 01:13:47

mousesma, it seems that you are breastfeeding, so I would advise you to pay attention to your own diet. When DS was a few weeks old, any chocolate I ate would give him terrible wind! Some babies have wind when their mother eat sugar, bread, dairy, citrus fruits, etc (not all at once, though!).
As I had thrush as well, I ended up living for some weeks on a diet without any sugar, bread, wheat, dairy. It was boring as hell, but worth it. Anyway, I'm sure you won't need to be that radical to have a good result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now