Talk

Advanced search

When to start a routine?

(4 Posts)
domesticdiva Thu 11-Nov-10 21:55:22

Sorry if this has been done before, I'm knackered so do forgive me!! smile

We have DS2 who is 5 weeks old, he feeds generally every 3 hours but can go longer during the day when he seems to nap constantly. We've not set any routine for him yet as we have just followed DS1's bedtime routine: 7pm bath, story then bed. However DS2 will not settle alone in his moses basket, so we take him down stairs which after a feed he nods off til 11-12pm ish. We then struggle through the night as he tends to suffer from wind and does not settle after feeds unless we bring him into bed with us.

My question is, is this normal? Should we trying to deter him from co-sleeping (even though I find it really lovely waking up to those big brown eyes!!), and how old and when did people start with bedtime routines?

Mumcah Thu 11-Nov-10 22:49:00

Yes it sounds normal to me.Around 12 weeks is a good time to start some kind of routine.I guess it depends on what kind of person you are as to how strict you want to be!
Many of the baby parenting books say start a routine from day 1 but I just don't think it's possible,especially if establishing breastfeeding.

I personally couldn't have managed co sleeping but if it works for you then do it ,especially if you get more sleep that way.
Of course you can start a routine anytime but I think you should just enjoy the first few weeks and let the baby take the lead.In a few weeks time the baby will be sleepier earlier in the evening and then putting him to bed will just naturally happen.

Just realised this is your 2nd child so sorry if I have told you obvious things!

domesticdiva Sat 13-Nov-10 20:35:44

Thanks Mumcah thats great advise, our first was a preemie so we had no routine except hospitals for the first few weeks anyway, hence the post! smile

Its lovely co-sleeping, but I will take your advice and see how he gets on.

Cheers grin

goandshowdaddy Sun 14-Nov-10 18:02:41

Interesting to read this domesticdiva and Mumcah. I'm in the same position as you, dd, except my DS2 is 9 weeks. Was wondering when to start a bedtime routine as can't remember what we did with DS1!

How old is your DS1, dd? Mine's 2.5 and being a bit of a pest at the mo! DS2 sounds like yours. He has a nap at 5ish so isn't ready for bed at 7 but then comes downstairs and eventually sleeps on me till I go to bed at 10ish. He will not go in his moses basket before then - grr. I think I was a bit more persistant with DS1 at trying to get him into bed, sometimes spending 2 hours trying to settle him. This time round I can't be bothered/don't want to disturb DS1 so bring him downstairs.

With regard to the wind/settling, my DS2 had this at that age but it has got slightly better. Still have difficult nights with it though so no help from me there - sorry! Hoping it will ease soon though.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: