Talk

Advanced search

10 week old baby going backwards!

(7 Posts)
debbie1412 Tue 09-Nov-10 11:31:32

Hi Ladies

I need help else im going to go out of my mind.

My 10 week old son will no longer be put down in his cot, i nurse him to sleep (he wont sleep any other way) the minute he touches his cot hes wide awake and crying. I nurse him again usually only a few suckles gets him back off, in he pops into his cot again WIDE AWAKE. Last night he got himself into such a state it took us an hour or so just to settle him then it all happened again. So for the 2nd night hes slept in the spare room with me. SHOCK HORROR i know but im soooo tired its the only way. I completely understand that by having him in with me its adding to the problem but he really roars and i cant bear him upset hes just too young. He took to his cot lovely at 6 weeks still woke every 2/3 hours for feeds but its fine hes a hungry little boy, but i dont understand why we are going backwards.

Im trying to install a routine but its hard when it takes us 3 hours to get him down.

Any ideas

Ineedsomesleep Tue 09-Nov-10 21:09:50

debbie1412, please don't worry about him sleeping with you. My DC1 was exactly like this from Day 1. We never intended to co-sleep but it was the only way he'd ever sleep.

DC2 was fine for the first 3 months then decided she would only sleep tucked up with Mummy.

Have you got the guidelines on safe sleeping? You might find this from La Leche League interesting.

Are you bfing? If so are you going to any bfing groups or mixing with any bfing Mums? When DC1 would only sleep with me the only thing that kept me sane was going along to my local bfing group once a week.

Cosmosis Thu 11-Nov-10 09:15:32

my 9 wk old is the same so I know how you feel. I really don't want to be co-sleeping for much longer, but if it's that or no sleep I know which I'd rather.

Ineedsomesleep Thu 11-Nov-10 09:31:49

Cosmosis, don't worry about it. I didn't start out wanting to co-sleep but like I say, it was the only way we could all get some sleep.

Anyway, I think the research shows that they turn out to be happier and more independant when they grow up so just go with the flow smile

Cosmosis Thu 11-Nov-10 09:37:50

I keep telling myself that when I'm all stiff from the weird positions I have to sleep in grin

Ineedsomesleep Thu 11-Nov-10 09:48:54

It'll get better, for now you are doing the right thing for you and for your baby smile

Mine are 2 very contented and happy DC.

Teaandcakeplease Thu 11-Nov-10 10:54:24

I used to hold my DD for 10 mins after she dropped off until she was in a deeper sleep and then lay her down, she was less likely to wake again when I did that. I did find swaddling worked well as it fooled her into thinking she was still being held but I think by 10 weeks I'd stopped swaddling hmm and moved to a gro bag, as both of mine woke more if cold. The other thing I would say is the more tired mine were the more jumpy and agitated they'd get at this stage. I used to have to put mine down for naps every 90 mins in the early days and always fed them to almost sleep every feed. However co sleeping is a lot easier if you're happy to continue smile

I suppose you could consider a dummy if it would help? If he'd take a dummy, my DS wouldn't but my DD did.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: