Talk

Advanced search

adjusting kids to clocks going back!

(6 Posts)
Daisydish Sat 30-Oct-10 10:46:08

hello
my 3 and 5 year olds are in a very regular routine of going to bed at 7pm and they seem to love and thrive on this. tomorrow the clocks go back which means effectively keeping them awake till 8...because they are both at nursery and school on monday after half term, if i put them to bed at the new time 7 they will no doubt wake at their normal time and therefore be knackered for monday morning. how does everyone else cope with this? slowly make it later and later each night? or straight away into the new time and hope their body clocks adjust quickly and they begin to wake later in the mornings, knowing mine they wont and they will just become more and more overtied as the week goes on!
is it only me that finds this a challenge?

mnistooaddictive Sat 30-Oct-10 10:51:37

When mine were tiny I moved things by 10 mins each night. Now they are older they just do it!

magna Sat 30-Oct-10 10:56:32

No Daisy it is not just you I. Am dreading it. I have over the last week kept DS1 (5yo) up until 8 so he should be fine but DS2 (2yo) wakes at 6 everyday no matter what time he goes to bed <not looking forward to 5 tomorrow>.

You never know it could be fine fingers crossed

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sat 30-Oct-10 10:58:21

I have heard of people not changing the clocks until mid afternoon Sunday so that the children naturally fall into their routine that night - not sure how that works? But worth a try.

Daisydish Sat 30-Oct-10 11:04:37

thankyou so much everyone! well i have been trying to move their bedtime forward a bit over halfterm, but it seems to have made my ds who is 5 knackered! he is so sensitive to his sleep. he is now going to bed at 7.20/30 every night and waking at about 6.30 so i think i will keep it at 7.30 for a few more nights (actually 6.30 from tom) and gradually move forward. thankyou so much for your opinions though, nice to know im not the only one worrying about it!

Yemenite Mon 24-Sep-12 06:24:55

I live in a country where the clocks went back this week. We just put our three year old to bed at his normal time of 8 (which of course was actually 9). He usually wakes up around 6.45am. For the past 2 mornings it has been 5.15am. He gets out of bed, comes in my room, climbs all over me and demands to get up. When he slept in a cot, I would just tell him to go back to sleep and ignore him - after about three days he got into the new rhythm. This time, his body clock is telling him to get up and he does. I have no idea what to do, but I am going to have to do something because there is no way I am starting my day at 5.15am! brew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now