Talk

Advanced search

Great night time sleeper but poor daytime napper...

(2 Posts)
Betsey337 Sun 08-Aug-10 20:20:15

My 14 week old is great at settling himself at bed time and has even started sleeping through the night. But daytime naps are a big no at the moment. He cries so much and gets very worked up. I really don't want this to have a negative effect on the night time e.g. ends up hating his cot.
Can he really survive on just the nightime sleep (7pm - 10.30pm and then 11.15pm - 7am)
He is clearly tired during the day and does need sleep, as this can affect how well he feeds, (which can result in him waking in the early hours)
I always try to put him down for naps but if it doesn't work then I will take him out in his pram and then he will have a cat nap.
Any pearls of wisdom?

curlyLJ Sun 08-Aug-10 23:00:59

Hi, I used to tear my hair out for the same reason when DD was this age. Eventually it has got better and she will now settle for a nap (some days better than others) as long as I get the timing right. I gave up trying to read her tired signs and try to get her down roughly every 2 hours. SOme people say they need an nap about an hour after waking, but DD has never gone down this soon after waking - the 2 hours seems about right for her. She still really fights the last nap of the day, and sometimes I give up on this one, but generally the naps began to improve when she got to about 18 weeks...

She also used to sleep well at night, 9pm to about 5 or 6 and then back again till 8ish after a quick feed. This has now gone out the window and she is back to waking aout 1/1.30am for an extra feed confused

Hope that helps in some way. Basically I think their habits change so much at this age. I know that every time I think I am getting somewhere and think I have 'cracked it' she goes and does something completely different!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: