Talk

Advanced search

Can you get any more PFB?

(28 Posts)
belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:28:56

the baby isn't even born yet and already is the start of the party
(ignoring the ethics of using scans being used 'just for fun' hmm)

belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:31:00

star not start!

MmeLindt Fri 21-Aug-09 12:34:38

oh, I saw that earlier. How ridiculous.

Still, the sonographer made a bit of money from this silly pair.

jeminthepantry Fri 21-Aug-09 12:36:35

I have a question- why are you on the Mails website? ffs...

MamaG Fri 21-Aug-09 12:38:03

how ridiculous

I was talking to DH the other day about these folk with disgusting amounts of cash (kerry katona etc)

If I suddenly had their bank balance, I wouldn't suddenly have an alarming coke habit, an army of nannies , hold "private 4d scan parties" (ffs) and spend ££££s on clothes!

Well, ok, I'd spend the £££s on clothes, saying I wouldn't is a lie blush

belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:41:12

jeminthpantry- because I have been linked to it so many times from the mumsnet website that I am now addicted.

jeminthepantry Fri 21-Aug-09 12:41:54

grin

NNOOOOOO!!!

MmeLindt Fri 21-Aug-09 12:45:33

I am the same, Belgo. To my shame, I check out the Mail online to see what is happening in UK, gossip and stuff.

I blame MN too.

belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:47:13

grin yes we have to keep up with what's happening back home!

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Fri 21-Aug-09 12:49:04

I don't see what's wrong with it.

They're a young couple excited by the birth of their PFB. They paid the sonographer and presumably the scans had to be done anyway. At least they're taking some of the pressure off the NHS and the already overstretched midwifery services eh?

belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 12:52:49

Tarka - I suppose I see scans being used for 'fun' as a misuse of technology. I don't feel comfortable with it, what about the rights of the foetus to develop in private and peace?

As far as I can tell the scan wasn't being done for any medical purpose, so would not have been carried out by the NHS.

PolkSaladLucie Fri 21-Aug-09 12:53:31

We had a private 4d scan and took my mum and my husbands parents (they did pay for it wink and then screened the dvd a few times.

Whats the problem?

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 21-Aug-09 12:53:38

only £300?? I think it cost nearly that much for my 3d scan and I had to go to the clinic myself shock

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Fri 21-Aug-09 12:55:14

LOL at the rights of the foetus. I don't think the foetus gives 2 shits whether it's being scanned or not, does it?

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 21-Aug-09 12:56:52

"I don't feel comfortable with it, what about the rights of the foetus to develop in private and peace?"

seriously?

frasersmummy Fri 21-Aug-09 13:00:07

I dont see the problem...

My neighbour went for one of these scans and brought me in the dvd to watch

I felt realy honoured to be included in her excitment ... I dont see why this is any different . I think its nice to include friends and families in the event.

belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 13:01:14

Yes seriously, I think scans need to be medically justified and not just used as an excuse to gawp at a developing baby, which I believe is something that is supposed to private.

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Fri 21-Aug-09 13:01:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 13:06:41

yes I have to admit, I did post this in 'sleb twaddle' and not in the philosophy/religion topic!

I think that is probably one dress.

hocuspontas Fri 21-Aug-09 13:07:08

How awful if something was wrong though. Hopefully they knew in advance that everything was ok.

To me it's something family might like but a big yawn for friends. Can't believe it was only £300. £3000 more like.

PolkSaladLucie Fri 21-Aug-09 13:20:25

Well it cost us about £140 for an hour appointment in the clinic, so £300 for a home visit sounds ok to me... Depends how long it was (haven't opened the link as am at work)

I don't have a problem with it - but Tom Cruise buying an ultrasound maching when Katie Holmes was expecting Suri I did object to.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Fri 21-Aug-09 13:30:07

OFGS, why, other than the fact that Tom Cruise is an objectionable little shit at the best of times?

They presumably have more money than they know what to do with. Having a gawp at your developing foetus and using it as an excuse to have a party seems like a perfectly reasonable use of resources to me.

I repeat - who is it harming? Cause the foetus doesn't care, the sonographer gets paid, some rich fuckers get a party and Wayne and Col get to feel a nice warm glow that so many hangers on close family and friends care so much about their sprog unborn PFB.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Fri 21-Aug-09 13:30:40

I reckon 4D scans are a waste of time anyway, though, so I may not be the best person to be having this discussion! grin

PolkSaladLucie Fri 21-Aug-09 13:37:30

Only because I had big issues in my early pregnancy which meant I needed lots of early scans and had awful waiting times because there was only 1 working machine, and I resented the fact that he didn't donate the machine to a local clinic or hospital...

malung Sun 23-Aug-09 19:48:12

Do no one ever feel like they are tempting fate when the baby is named and displayed even before birth.?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now