Talk

Advanced search

What do we think about Ricky Martin and his gorgeous babies?

(21 Posts)
Cymbeline Thu 20-Aug-09 22:00:13

I was looking at th DM column (as you do) and saw this picture of Ricky Martin with two small lovely babies - so I had a look - it seems he is bringing them up as a single father, on his own, having used a surrogate mother to carry them...

this is really unusual, isn't it? I am sorry about their mother having to give them up and hope she was ok about it - I haven't ever explored the idea of surrogacy really, and it seems to have a few angles I thought were worthy of discussion here.

Sorry about namechange btw, have been here since 07, just changed for a personal thread and can't be bothered to change back for this one! smile

Cymbeline Thu 20-Aug-09 22:03:04

Awwwww

5inthebed Thu 20-Aug-09 22:05:34

Aww they are gorgeous!

IdontMN2makecopyforlazyjournos Thu 20-Aug-09 22:06:00

They are beautiful children. I am sure he is a very good and loving father.

<Considers pointing out that if a 37 year old lesbian celebrity had done the same thing the DM would have been practically coming with excitment at shoe horning so many of its pet themes into one tiny headline>

Cymbeline Thu 20-Aug-09 22:12:30

Yes it is all a bit odd the other way round innit? They would pillory a woman for doing it.
Yet he is all unsung hero single dad.

Is he definitely gay? <gets a bit ahead of herself> grin

GypsyMoth Thu 20-Aug-09 22:16:06

those pics are gorgeous.....the babies were lovely too!!!!

IdontMN2makecopyforlazyjournos Thu 20-Aug-09 22:17:47

No, he hasn't actually come out but I think it is by and large assumed that he is.

Even if you dropped the sexuality issue, the DM would still be frothing at the mouth about a single woman doing the same thing.

nancy75 Thu 20-Aug-09 22:19:45

i met ricky martin, many years ago, i would be very shocked if he isnt gay - he is, by the way the most beautiful man i have ever seen, photos dont do him justice!

Cymbeline Thu 20-Aug-09 22:22:25

Don't say that Nancy!! <swoons more and falls over>

LittleMissBliss Thu 20-Aug-09 22:26:20

Those are lovely babies and think it's great that he doesn't have a nanny and is very hands on, must be bloody hard with twins.

I don't have a clue how i'd cope on my own. I'm sure he has lots of family around him to help.

He is gorgeous. swoooooon

QOD Thu 20-Aug-09 22:32:13

no offence but it gets on my tits when people wonder if the mum was ok about giving them up. SHe conceived them for him
out of choice and by HER starting the process of offering herself/uterus for personal and lets not forget, financial gain, and gave them to him. AMerican surros are allowed to be altruistic, they get a lot of money AND the reward of making a family. ALso, i do beleive they were carried by a host surrogate so they werent actually the birth mothers.
As you know (possibly) i have a daughter from a surro and she does not deserve nor want anyones pity, she CHOSE to do what she did and did it with pride

GypsyMoth Thu 20-Aug-09 22:34:46

yeah,he must have family help. some sort of help for work etc..

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Thu 20-Aug-09 22:36:10

i'd LOVE to be pg again, if my circumstances were different i could imagine being a surrogate. i'm at my absolute best when up the stick. grin

his kids are gorgeous.

QOD Thu 20-Aug-09 22:37:07

surrogates rock aitch - I would LOVE to have been pregnant, just once, for a couple of weeks....

GypsyMoth Thu 20-Aug-09 22:41:33

where is he then? america i pressume? different surrogacy rules over there,not sure about other countrie tho.

couldn't have done surrogacy,but would have done egg donation if age had been on my side

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Thu 20-Aug-09 22:41:33

aw, i wish you had too, it's a rather amazing thing. i know a lot of people complain about it but i always lost weight, looked great and moods were easy-oasy and chilled. you can see why i'd love to do it again? wink

Cymbeline Fri 21-Aug-09 08:29:18

QOD I'm really sorry if I offended you. I didn't know and I should have thought more carefully before I wrote that - it seemed a bit odd to write at the time, but having come to this without any discussion or experience I am very ignorant about it and could only approach it from a personal point of view. I can't imagine giving up a child but then I'm quite immature and don't really understand a lot of things...I am very pleased that your situation has worked out so well. smile

Sorry.

watsthestory Fri 21-Aug-09 08:39:40

Message withdrawn

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Fri 21-Aug-09 10:33:48

what a lovely post, cymbeline. i think most of us struggle with the idea of giving a child we've carried to someone else, even if it was their child all along. that's really what makes it heroic, imo. smile

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 21-Aug-09 10:42:10

aye carumba. Have fancied ricky martin for a long long time, and now he has babies the same age as my dd! It's like we were meant to be together! (no offence, dh)

Now to find him on twitter..

MamaGottaMakeADecision Fri 21-Aug-09 10:46:36

cymbeline thats a really nice post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now