Talk

Advanced search

do you reckon it's the money or the desire to be in the public eye that makes someone like Ulrika do Big Brother?

(21 Posts)
deaconblue Sun 18-Jan-09 21:31:25

I wonder if Ulrika, Kerry Kantona and the like need to keep selling stories to Hello, appear on reality programmes etc because it's their only way of making money or whether it's the desire to be liked/famous that keeps them humiliating themselves?
Also why would someone like Martina Navratilova do I'm a Celeb, because surely she doesn't need the money or the fame???

nancy75 Sun 18-Jan-09 21:33:33

ulrika, and kerry katona i should think its the money and the need to be liked/famous. people like martina naratilova puzzles me too, maybe shes bored?

TimeForMe Sun 18-Jan-09 21:47:47

Ulrika has already admitted she is only doing big brother for the money.

paddingtonbear1 Sun 18-Jan-09 22:29:05

Ulrika for the money, deffo. She said she wanted a boob job didn't she?

puffling Mon 19-Jan-09 00:02:42

Just the money. She's got 4 kids. She must be desperate to get home.

Tinker Mon 19-Jan-09 00:11:26

I wonder how much money they have and how much money they think they need. It must be so tiring being a celeb with no real talent. Having to try to make a lot of money so support teh celeb lifestyle all for appearance sake really

Earlybird Mon 19-Jan-09 01:04:58

I can't imagine any of them will take home very much after they've paid tax and an agent/manager percentage of earnings.

nooka Mon 19-Jan-09 01:14:21

I suspect it's not just the money from the show, but the spin offs, added exposure etc. Perhaps they are also masochists? But then I've never understood the motivation of those who watch this sort of show either.

deste Mon 19-Jan-09 21:14:41

I heard £175.000 but not sure if that is for Ulrika or someone else. If it is you can see the appeal.

treacletart Mon 19-Jan-09 21:20:59

Ulrika's doing it for the cash - she wouldn't leave such a tiny one at home just for the limelight.

jeanjeannie Mon 19-Jan-09 21:22:32

I heard £134,000 just to go in the house. I suppose the longer you stay in the more your pulling power is afterwards hmm

Ulrika had her little boy only a few weeks after I had my DD.....and there is NO way I'd leave her for that length of time - I'd be in bits sad I think it's about ego.

wheresthehamster Mon 19-Jan-09 21:24:55

I was also surprised at Martina and then I read that she had recently come out of a long term relationship and was feeling lonely and needed bucking up a bit. So it probably did her good!

daftpunk Mon 19-Jan-09 21:28:39

didn't germain greer do BB...or was i dreaming?

wheresthehamster Mon 19-Jan-09 21:31:32

Yes, but she left of her own accord. I can't remember why now.

izyboy Tue 20-Jan-09 13:11:08

I love Germaine she's so contrary (I really do like her). I think she left because she didn't realise how boring/intrusive/crap it would be!

PestoInaugurationMonster Tue 20-Jan-09 13:36:05

The money. Once you've got a celebrity lifestyle, you've got to maintain a celebrity income to sustain it. Ulrika has a massive house, four dcs, a nanny and goodness knows what else, that she has to support. None of that comes cheap.

notnowbernard Tue 20-Jan-09 13:38:19

I think for Navratilova it was genuine curiosity

She came across like her personality and self-esteem were intact, didn't she?

KK and Ulrika et al appear really quite needy with low self-esteem... in need of affirmation all the time, hence the constant self-exposure to the media

In KK's case I believe she is emotionally unstable, addicted and hiddeously advised sad

tillytips Tue 20-Jan-09 17:40:35

I did hear ulrika say on BB that this is what she does, she's earning money for the family money pot.I guess when you haven't got a normal job you have to take money when you can.
Don't care about her either way really but she needs money and if some tv company is silly enough to pay that kind of money then she'd be mad to turn it down.

violethill Fri 23-Jan-09 11:22:59

Agree with notnow. It's low self esteem isn't it? I guess when you achieve a level of celebrity that is way out of proportion to any talent or skill you possess, you constantly live with an undercurrent of feeling rather a fraud.

I can't imagine a more empty existence that that of some celebrities. They may fill up their time with tacky reality TV or magazine interviews, but honestly, you'd never feel great about yourself.

TheWizardofOz Fri 23-Jan-09 11:23:48

not all of them
Ulrike
Katona
Diana

all abandoned by mothers.
All manipulative and needy.
ALl no female mates

TheWizardofOz Fri 23-Jan-09 11:23:58

NOTE
not not (!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now